series2 dual tuner and OTA?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CorinaB, Sep 13, 2007.

1. CorinaB

CorinaB New Member

Sep 13, 2007

Advertisements

I am new to TiVo, and haven't actually bought my TiVo yet. I currently have a Comcast box with DVR, but I'd like to get rid of cable altogether if possible. So, I am looking to replace the Comcast DVR with a Series2 dual tuner.

For now, I plan to downgrade my cable to just get the local stations, but I hope to figure out a way to get good reception without cable (OTA) later. If I do that, will I still be able to use the TiVo? And will I still be able to use both tuners?

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    To work around an FCC requirements the Series 2 Dual Tuner is blocked from tuner OTA channels. It can only tune analog cable and/or control 1 cable box.

(The enable OTA tuning, they would have had to include an ATSC digital hi-def tuner, which likey would have significantly raised the cost)

3. CorinaB

CorinaB New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks Jonathan! That's too bad, but it's good to know before I buy.

4. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    JMO, If I were looking to get a new Tivo now, I would get the new Tivo HD and future proof myself.

If I had the $$$ I'd go ahead and get the S3. :D

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

Advertisements

Yep, The TiVoHD is the one to consider, since it will tune OTA just fine.

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    There's also been talk (apparently) of a standard def TiVo that would be similar to the TiVoHD. ;)

Philips currently has a DVR/DVDrecorder that tunes and records both analog and digital*, but only in standard def, even being able to create DVDs off the hard drive recordings.

It'd be a little strange if TiVo didn't produce their own version of such a machine, even if without the DVD burner.

*(Haven't been able to find out if it can do QAM on the digital side.)

7. avmike

avmike Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Keep in mind folks that you can use Tivo HD and Series 3 boxes on non-HD televisions. You can even watch HD channels. The box will simply downconvert to SD.

8. CorinaB

CorinaB New Member

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks, guys! You're right about the "future-proofing"--I hadn't been paying much attention to the big HDTV changeover, because I had cable. I don't have an HD tv, and I'm glad to hear I can keep using my old tv for TiVo if I get an HD or Series3.

Gastrof, do you happen to know what that Philips is called? If it has two tuners, it might be perfect for me since I won't be getting a new tv for a long time, probably.

I didn't see that there were more replies to this thread until after I started a new one about helping me pick the right TiVo. Oops!

Corina