Series2 DT (2 tuner) usage from setup

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gadgetLarry, Jun 21, 2007.

1. gadgetLarry

gadgetLarry TiVo Crazy

Jan 30, 2005
    Bloomsbury, NJ

Advertisements

I just added a new Series2 DT (dual tuner) DVR to my collection. Everything seems to be working fine. With a splitter I have one connection coming from the cable box, and the other straight in for analog. If I switch to a digital only channel I can see the channel switch on the cable box. If I then go to an analog station, it obviously is switching tuners because you don't see any action on the cable box. I checked the channel lineup and noticed that all channels were listed twice; once for cable box, and again for cable. For all of the digital stations, only the cable box is checked (makes sense). For the analog stations, only the analog box is checked.

Finally the question: What would be the advantages/disadvantages of checking both boxes (cable, cable box) in the channel lineup for analog stations?

Larry

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Suppose you select both cable and cable box for the analog channels and you set up a season pass for a show on one of those channels. When TiVo goes to record the show it may end up using the cable box version of that channel to record it (since they are both the same channel there is no way for you to specify which one you want TiVo to use). If you then decide you want to watch a digital channel at the same time you will not be able to do so without cancelling the recording. On the other hand if you only had the cable channel selected then TiVo would have to use that and then the digital tuner would always be free. I think that is the biggest (and maybe only) advantage.

3. gadgetLarry

gadgetLarry TiVo Crazy

Jan 30, 2005
    Bloomsbury, NJ
    1. Let's say I have both cable and box selected for channel 3, and TiVo decides to use box to record. Does that mean that it wouldn't automatically change to using cable, if I decide to record an HBO show (box) at the same time?
    2. If I leave it the way it is (only analog cable selected), I suppose that means that if I want to record 2 analog shows at the same time it wouldn't let me. True?

I know I can find these things out with experimentation, but thought I would solicit a response from folks that have already played around with this feature.

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    1. I am not sure if it would be smart enough to do that. I have the cable box stations de-selcted for the analog channels so I have never run into that case.

2. You could still record two analog channels at the same time. One just might use the cable box version (which some people prefer since they say their cable box version gets a better picture).

5. gadgetLarry

gadgetLarry TiVo Crazy

Jan 30, 2005
    Bloomsbury, NJ

Advertisements

My experimentation has shown interesting results. The TiVo is smarter than I was giving it credit for. If I flipped let's say between channel 3 and 10, and those channels only had the analog box checked (not the cable box - box) hitting the PLAY button on each showed that it was live recording both channels. This would mean that the TiVo would have to use the cable box for one of those stations even though the cable box - box wasn't checked for either channel.