Series 4 Premiere DVRs can no longer be activated

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by krkaufman, Dec 31, 2020.

1. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Seems a recent change worth highlighting...

Per TiVo’s >published policy< and at least >one user experience<, inactive Premiere (Series 4) DVRs can no longer be activated:

TiVo Service Plans and Policies: Essentials

Important: Series1–Series4 DVRs are no longer eligible for new service plans. If you cancel an existing service plan on these DVRs, you will not be able to reactivate them. Series2, Series3/HD and Series4 DVRs with Product Lifetime Service will continue to receive service for the life of the DVR.

6348B15D-5CBD-49F8-83CF-251BA00FF268.jpeg

So I'm guessing the only loophole would be buying a Premiere w/ Lifetime service and getting it transferred to your account. (And maybe piggy-backing on the remainder of a existing service subscription as part of a transfer? edit: Per TiVo policy, any monthly/annual service subscription must be cancelled by the device owner prior to ownership transfer, so any recipient would necessarily be trying to start a new service subscription ... for which Premieres are ineligible.)

edits: 31Dec2020: Updated to reflect subscription cancellation req'd prior to ownership transfer.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    kpeters59 and aaronwt like this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

3. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    I don't understand their logic in turning down subscriptions for hardware they still have to support anyway.

4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Have to or thus far have supported with certainly issues from Premiere users. Activate it for yearly now then yes they're committed, not offered there ain't no more issues. Will they continue to 'transfer ownership' is maybe the more relevant question to be asked!

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

No change indicated on that front: “Series4 DVRs with Product Lifetime Service will continue to receive service for the life of the DVR.”

I remain more curious as to whether transferring a Premiere on a current monthly/annual subscription is a workaround for those looking to sell/buy a Premiere and transfer ownership.

Transferring a TiVo Device to a New Owner

6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    'indicated' is maybe relevant! Minds change day to day sometimes in a few minutes. Reactivation of 'no longer in service' of Premiere is maybe a good example of 'changing minds'!
    A next move could be limiting support/operation of devices that don't have current OS updates or haven't called home for XXXXXX days etc.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Sure, but no change, at present, unlike for new service activations.

Speaking of which, the “Transferring...” page indicates monthly/annual subscriptions must be cancelled prior to transferring ownership of a box, so looks like no loophole for non-Lifetime boxes. Oof.

8. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Hey. Is it me or does the picture on my premiere look better than my Roamio? Maybe the inputs on my tv are not quite similar but the old gal sure looks good!!