Series 3 won't connect to Tivo servers

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by calva70, Jul 23, 2011.

1. calva70

calva70 New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    This problem all start a few days ago, I first noticed it when I tried to watch something on Netflix.

I went in to the Network status and noticed that July 20th was the last time that it had successfully connected, it was the 22nd at this point. I tried the usual things, rebooting the Tivo, rebooting the Network, different connections to the network. Nothing would work. I even tried to connect the Tivo directly to the Modem, and it still wouldn't connect.

I also have a TivoHD, and when I check that one it too had a similar problem. After spending over 2 hours on the phone with Tivo tech support, and talking to a couple of different techs, we were unable to figure out the problem. The TivoHD did magically start working, but the Series 3 still fails to connect.

The Tivo when I try to go through the network settings give me an error message of unable to find the DHCP server (N02). If I try to assign a static IP I get Gateway not found (N07).

When this problem started I had changed nothing to my network. So I don't know what has caused it.

After letting the box sit for several hours I am now getting an N15 error.

All other devices on the network are able to connect to the internet with no problems, so I'm thinking that there is a problem with the S3 box.

Anyone have any ideas on what my options are? Am I looking at a new box, $247 for a PremierXL at Amazon.com.

2. section128drunk

section128drunk Member

May 6, 2007
    if it was just the S3 from the start, I'd be with your thinking, but because both were having issues, I'm guessing it's a router or firewall issue? have you tried direct connecting the s3 to your internet modem?

3. calva70

calva70 New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    As I stated in my OP, yes I did hook it up directly to the modem, I reboot the Tivo and the modem when I did that.

4. section128drunk

section128drunk Member

May 6, 2007
    missed that, do you have a wireless adapter to try , maybe your ethernet port is fried

5. calva70

calva70 New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    NP.

No I don't have a wireless adapter. But I run into a problem if I try to use one. I already have 2 USB devices hooked up to the Tivo. I have a bluetooth adapter, for the slider remote, and I have a tuning adapter.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Do you use an address for the DHCP/Gateway in your network settings?

You can try to set this manually to your router (usually 192.168.1.1).

I had these network errors and when I put in this address in the settings, all the errors were gone, even though I use the Wireless adapter.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you mean you connected it directly to your cable or DSL modem?

Have you tried connecting over the telephone line?

8. davidb4775

davidb4775 Member

Aug 26, 2004
    We are experiencing the same thing. Two Tivo3's. One connected via wireless and one connected via ethernet. Wireless is working. Ethernet one is not. Getting the same Gateway not found message. I did note that the TiVo did connect to the service this afternoon and wonder if some software update FUBAR'ed the connection.

Even replaced the wireless router with another (same model).

UPDATE: Connected the wireless adapter to the TiVo and it connected to the service. Tried an update. It connected but did not appear to download any update. Reconnected the ethernet, reset the network and it still wont connect. Get the same Gateway not found error.

Since I have used two wireless routers and since I recently ran the ethernet cable (its new), I can only conclude that some push software messed up the TiVo ethernet port.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you crimp the ends on that ethernet cable yourself?

Have you tested it with any other piece of gear?

10. davidb4775

davidb4775 Member

Aug 26, 2004
    The cable (cat-6) was purchased new and has been working for a couple of months.

UPDATE.
    I connected the cable to a laptop and it works fine so its conclusive that the problem lies somewhere with the S3.

UPDATE 2
    Connected the S3 to the service with the wifi. It DID download something but did not take long to install. Unplugged the cable from the laptop and into the TiVo and it WORKS. I am still perplexed becase the software version bumber seems to be the same.

11. calva70

calva70 New Member

Feb 23, 2006
    Looks like I got the problem fixed. Turns out the Cat 5 cable was the problem. The end that was plugged into the Tivo was broken, the little plastic piece that locks it into the RJ45 jack was broken off. So the cable wasn't seating properly.

12. Andrewp75

Andrewp75 New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Washington DC
    There is definitely a software glitch on series 3 that has messed up my dhcp settings TiVo corp please help!

13. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go into the phone and network settings menu on the TiVo and assign it a fixed IP addess.

Can't hurt, might help, might prevent a problem down the road.

14. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I have the same(?) problem. TiVo does not connect to the servers. Fail error S03. It's running out of guide data in a week...

TiVo help says disconnect TiVo from network for a couple of days and then try. If still having problems call the TiVo help desk.

15. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If things have been working for several years, as configured, how would that help?

16. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    DHCP leases are usually for hours or days, not years, which means they have to be renewed, which means a chance for something to go wrong each time.

17. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Where would this DHCP address come from?
    I guess this would be some auto feature of TiVo or my network adapter/router?

My TiVo is connected via usb connection, it does connect to the internet, as I can watch youtube videos.

18. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Quote: Originally Posted by WO312
    To fix it, I had to do a delete of everything but my recordings. Don't remember the wording, but it is the one that is just short of Clear and Delete Everything, which will get rid of your recordings. It deletes your program guide and season passes.

The above appears to have fixed the problem with connecting to TiVo server. I will know more tonight.

Thanks, WO312

19. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    So it took TiVo, two calls home, then after chewing on the data over 8 hours. All is back to normal, except there are no season passes, etc...

20. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    A new twist:

Mine was ok until I noticed on Saturday 20Aug11, that GC was stuck on 18Aug11. Guide data good until 28Aug11. There were successful service connections each day, including a forced connection, yesterday.

This morning I contacted TiVo support (via chat) about the guide data and GC.
    The agent reviewed my account settings (their side) and said that my channel lineup was set to "Primary" and that it sould be set to "Digital."
    So.... I followed this instructions* to fix the channel line up. Not sure how long it took for this to happen. But, as of right now (4hrs later) GC is updated to today's date and guide data is good to 5Sept11.

I suppose changing the channel line up, is similar to guided setup. But never specifically selected "Guided Setup."

*INSTRUCTIONS:
    go to messages & settings>
    settings>
    channels>
    channel list>
    press enter button?
    from there I was on my own but I chose to fix the line up and selected "cable."> (I use both cable and ota.)

The TiVo did the rest...

As a side note: I had permanently deleted all "deleted" files before doing the above.

As of yesterday a 2TB hdd upgrade was installed, and so far TiVo appears to be functioning as designed.