Series 3 with DirecTV HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by markdmac, Jul 17, 2007.

1. markdmac

markdmac New Member

May 15, 2006

Advertisements

I recently switched to DirecTV and now have their HD programming. It is my understanding that the Series 3 HD DVR does not work with satellite systems.

I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of any kind of scrubber device that could go between the two systems that could clean up or convert the HD signals so TiVo could use it?

I even wonder could I plug a Series 3 in after the DirecTV HD DVR, would it still have an encoded signal going out?

I love my TiVo and the menus, I am especially fond of being able to transfer programs between my two TiVo units.

I will not convert to cable as there is only one choice in my town and the company is corrupt having over billed me $1200 over time and then refusing to credit the money back when their error was discovered. ("Oh we are sorry sir, but you only have 30 days to dispute charges.")

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Its not that the signals from a DirecTV HD are "dirty" somehow, is simply that the Series 3 has no inputs or control for STBs.

You can use a Series 2 with DirecTV HD though.

3. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The S3 doesn't do that anyway.

...as long as you understand that it can't record or playback HD, except in a downconverted-to-480i form.

4. bollwerk

bollwerk New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Even though DirecTV's HD DVR isn't Tivo, it still is pretty decent. Far better than any cable DVR I've used. Just bite the bullet and use it. You won't have much choice soon anyway, as they add new HD content. I believe you need their new boxes to get the new satellites.