Series 3 with a DVD Burner ?????

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by 72morgan, Oct 21, 2006.

1. 72morgan

72morgan Member

Jan 24, 2005
    CT.

Advertisements

I have a Pioneer 810-hs , that I love. I think of it and refer to it as a VCR on steroids. I also have a 61 inch Hi-Def TV. So I need and have to use that sucko Comcast box, for HD. I want to buy a new series 3 in the worst way.........

My question is this ; When will there be a Series 3 with a burner like my Pioneer or Toshiba or Humax. I would hate to buy the current S3, only to have a unit with the burner come out. Thanx

2. IEBA

IEBA Anthony

Oct 3, 2006
    Dallas
    Don't hold your breath.

If they decided to put a DVD burner in there, then it would have to do a boatload of downconversion from HD to SD. SD programs could be copied direct.

If they decided to put a BluRay or HD DVD burner in there, I expect it would only be after a ton of wrangling with content providers, broadcast flags, etc. Given that Series 3 doesn't even support the ability to copy the HD media to your computer, I expect that any Series 3 TiVo / burner is a long way off.

Plus, looking at the number of manufacturers who made TiVo DVD Burners, and then stopped making them, indicates that it has never been very profitable for those companies to make such a specialized product. BluRay burners are about $1000 right now, and Series 3 is around $800. Add licensing costs and the unit, if made today, would likely cost $2000. Would you buy it? I couldn't.

But I would really, really, really want it. :rolleyes:

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I love my TX20 with the built-in burner, but the more I think about it, the better it probably is to have a standalone DVD recorder connected to the TiVo instead.

I'm really attached to my Toshiba, but I'm trying to wean myself off of it. :)

4. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Think again. It's really cumbersome to have your TiVo tied up while archiving shows to DVD. The integrated models are great because it's a background task that happens much quicker than real-time.

5. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL

Advertisements

True, and the disc spanning is nice, but you can't edit out the commercials and since the advent of TTG, I really don't do that much burning for myself ... mostly for friends and family who might have missed a show.

6. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    For me it's a great pacifier for the kids during long car rides. I transfer their favorite shows to DVD for the car. Each week, a different disc. Their tastes change so frequently it seems.....

Also, during bouts of nostalgia, I'll archive an entire classic TV series.

7. lerakd

lerakd New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Has anyone utilized their Tivo/Humax or other tivo dvd burner to burn dvds from the feed coming from a cable set-top DVR? Because I just got my second hd tv, I really want to be able to save the programs in HD. While I know that my Humax cannot burn the DVD in HD, nevertheless there are shows that I do want to save. If it can't burn DVDs on the feed from the cable DVR, what use is my Humax (with a lifetime subscription, other than the possibility of selling the subscription on ebay?)

8. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You can't burn "on-the-fly" like a regular commercial DVD burner ... the show has to be recorded on the Humax/Toshiba and be in the Now Playing List. You also can't burn shows that you transferred TO the box, only content that was recorded on the box itself (due to resolution differences in the DVD and non-DVD units).

Now, as I was writing this I just realized what you were actually asking. Yeah, you could probably hook up your cable DVR to the inputs of the Humax/Toshiba and then use the "Record from Camera/VCR" functionality to record the HD show on the DVD box and then burn to DVD. As you said though, it would no longer actually be HD (but I guess the picture quality should be a little better ... not sure. I might have to try this with my S3 and the TX20).

9. lerakd

lerakd New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    I have a Humax with DVD burner and I love it. I've had it for about 1 1/2 years w/o any problems.
    Now that I just bought a second HD tv, though, I would like to get tivo hd. Tivo doesn't sell a HD with dvd burner, tho my local cable company provides a dvr box, again w/o ability to burn dvds.
    Does anyone know if you can use the Humax dvd burner with a cable set-top box? My few efforts to burn a dvd from my other dvd player were not successful.

10. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Your Humax should be able to work with a cable box. Once the program coming from the cable box is on your TiVo's hard drive, you should be able to burn a DVD off that.

I don't understand what you mean by "burning a DVD from your other DVD player".

Are you trying to copy a copy-guarded DVD? No wonder.

What exactly are you doing, and what is the problem?

PS
    As for burning a DVD off HD content, you can't. Not without downconverting the output from the cable box to work with a Standard Def television device. (Don't know of ANY High Def format DVD recorders for home use.) Once it's downconverted, which is the only way it could end up on the Humax TiVo anyway, it can be burned to DVD.

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    So I tried this tonight with my S3 and TX20. I connected the S-Video/composite audio outs on the S3 to the proper rear inputs on my TX20. Then, on the TX20 I went to Find Programs, Record from Camera/VCR. Once through those menus, I was able to start playing an HD recording from the S3 and record it on the TX20 (I used Best quality).

It worked, and it looked pretty cool. I was then able to save it to DVD or transfer it to my PC via TTG.

Now, I've got my S3 hooked up via HDMI, so it's possible at some point I could run into HDCP preventing the signal from going out over the analog outputs, but as a proof-of-concept for recording content from my S3 onto DVD ... success! :up:

12. IEBA

IEBA Anthony

Oct 3, 2006
    Dallas
    Nice going Windracer! I figured that would work.

As for the drive to make it happen for HD...

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peri...rdict-you-might-want-to-wait-a-bit-161373.php

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1980121,00.asp

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=17196

Summary, limited capability, slow speeds compared to what we're used to with today's high speed DVD burners, and high price, some $600 - $1000 just for the burner- bare. Let alone the cost of a Series 3, and the additional programming and possibly licensing costs to enable burning of broadcast or cable HD material. I don't see a $2000 Series 3 w/burner having a big enough market for them to go to the trouble. :( And as much as I would want one, I couldn't see myself paying $2000 for one when Humax DVD TiVos are currently $99 from TiVo.

Anthony