Series 3 vs HD: I'm Buying Tomorrow

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mrdazzo7, Sep 20, 2007.

1. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

Ok, I'm pretty happy w/ my S2DT unit, but I have a good HDTV and feel like I'm missing out, so I'm being irresponsible and going for the Series 3 or HD unit. I know there's alot of debates going on and I've read through some threads, but I have zero time, so I'll put it this way:

After all is said and done, the refurbished S3 I'd be getting would end up costing me about $500 (that inclues Wireless adapter, cable guy service fee, and subtracting what I'd be saving on my monthly bill over a year)

The HD would run me about $400 after all the same factors as above come in.

So for a bottom-line difference of $100, i should just get the S3 unit, right? It's got more storage, and the refurbished ones are pretty rigorously tested and everything so I feel comfortable that they'd have even less bugs then a brand new unit.

Anyway, whatever advise you guys have would be great. I'm making my decision in the early morning before I lose out on the special.

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Well, if you are buying the S3 from a retailer, and will be activating new service, Tivo has a $200 rebate on the S3 box. If you aren't already factoring that in, the S3 could be less expensive.

You also get the upgraded remote with the S3 (worth $40-$50).

3. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    If you're planning on switiching out your S2 for a new TiVo S3 or HD box you wouldn't be eligible for the $200 rebate on the S3. If you're adding it to the mix (new service) you could certainly consider a new S3 (not sure if the refurb S3 would qualify for the rebate but it's doubtful).

If your math is right and you can afford it, another $100 for an S3 with a larger hard drive, Glo Remote and a few other bells and whistles would be worth it IMHO. I think the S3’s are still a little more stable than the TiVo HD’s at this point, but recent software upgrades may have made the playing field a little more level.

Otherwise, here are a couple of good links to compare the two units:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=359947

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5353037#post5353037

BTW, once you go HD...you can NEVER go back! :D

Let us know what you decide and make a darn good case for it! ;)

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Yes.

As mentioned before, though, if you're planning to replace your current unit and switch over the subscription to your new one, rather than getting a new subscription and either keeping your existing unit operational until your commitment ends (or just outright canceling it if there's no remaining commitment period), that's probably your best option.

But if you'd be activating new service, you can get a better deal on the Series3 brand new... down to $339.99 after rebate: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5500901&&#post5500901

5. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006

Advertisements

Yeah, i'd be replacing my current unit, so I wouldn't qualify for the rebate, which that's why I figure the S3 is better because it's only $100 more after all is said and done. That said, I'm not exactly "swimming" in money these days (shouldn't even be buying a new Tivo but whatever), so Should I spend that extra $100 or should I just bite it and get the HD? I just feel like if I'm gonna do it, may as well get the best.

I know the S3 has a lot of features the HD doesn't, but the only one I would really get use out of is the bigger Hard Drive. I don't watch CRAZY amounts of TV, but I have a feeling 20 hours wouldn't be enough. But 32 would be plenty! And this would prevent me from having to be an extra drive to upgrade the HD in the future.

Wow, I can practically hear myself trying to justify this purchase, hahaha. I'm just gonna get he damn S3.

6. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Long term you'll be happy you got the S3. If you're like me and you don't, it will always be stuck in the back of your mind...every time you watch TV. :eek: So skip a couple of trips to Starbuck's or whatever and splurge a bit. You deserve it. ;)

7. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    You, my friend, are bad influence. But you're right. I can't deal with not having it so what choice do I really have? Plus I figure if I don't get, I'll be thinking about it all the time, and if I DO get it, I'll be thinking about the fact that I spent the money all the time, so I may as well get it cause at least then I'll have a nice HD Tivo to help me through the stress...hahaha.

8. jtrain

jtrain New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Beaverton, OR
    Get the S3, it's worth it. I got mine through the Father's Day Rebate opportunity and love it...you will not be disappointed one bit...go for it and ENJOY!

9. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    Ok, did it. 502.87 for S3, Tivo Wireless Adapter, First month of Service, and taxes, etc. So not tooo bad. I don't really feel like paying the cable guy to come put in the Cards but whatever. :) Thanks again for the advice guys.