Series 3 Tivo > Premier ??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by PatMcNJ, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1 of 73
    PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006
    I am so grateful to these forums...... I have the original Series 3 with Lifetime service. It stopped working last week. I sort of blanked out and bought a new Premier with Lifetime service, about $500 in total. Then I realized, what am I doing, that S3 has lifetime, I could either try to fix it or even sell it broken. I researched, and it sounded like I just needed a new hard drive, so I ordered one from Weaknees.

Meanwhile, I was working with the new Premier. OMG we all hated it. Ok, minor issues of missing the clock and the names of shows recording on the front panel..... then the Premier began freezing up, and had to be unplugged to get it moving again. After reading the forums here, I learned it is a problem with the Premier not responding to the remote commands, not that the Tivo is actually freezing up. Well, same result. (At least the S3 has buttons on the front so you can run it without a remote if you had to!)

Today I installed the new hard drive in the old S3, and that was easy enough, and I am not a techie, just a 50+ year old Mom of 4. (The amount of DUST inside the unit was unreal too) I installed the 2 cablecards myself (cablevision no longer rolls out for this). And we are back in business! I LOVE my Series 3!!

I see no improvements in the Premier worth keeping that unit. I might, if it worked correctly, for another TV here. But I will return it to BB in the morning, cancel that lifetime service and get my $500 back....

I would love to get an Elite someday, but will wait for the bugs to be worked out..... I remember there were some issues with the Series 3 in the beginning, but I was surprised at the Premier, since it has been out for awhile. I am not sure if it was just a faulty unit, or something they all do.

2. Oct 8, 2011 #2 of 73
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I never upgraded to a Premiere myself, too buggy still.

I have a Series 3 HD (652), not long ago, while I had an external DVR Expander drive connected for around 3 yrs. It later failed, and the original drive inside was still working, alas without my recordings and only 20 HD hrs. I got a 1Tb drive from Bestbuy and using WinMFS I was able to copy everything over, season passes went along. Currently I have 157 HD hrs. I am not planning to upgrade it any time soon.

The new Premiere Elite will not work with OTA or analog cable, only digital cable. For its price of $500, its not worth it. Same for the Lifetime pricing of $499.99/$399.99 msd.

You can have an onscreen clock, to set, play a recording and press Select-Play-Select-9-Select. 3 pings means success.

3. Oct 8, 2011 #3 of 73
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No such problems here. The Premiere is clearly superior in every way, except the lack of the front display. The HDUI may be buggy... if so, then turn it off. Running the SDUI, the Premiere works as well as the S3, but is much faster.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #4 of 73
    thomb

thomb Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Mill Creek, WA
    UNLESS you need to hack it. Since the Premiere Lacks the ability to remove CCI, it is a show stopper for our household.

5. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    In the past I have written "defective" on the unit and the box; so best buy doesn't try to resell as open box unit.

6. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    I still think the original series 3 with OLED screen is the best DVR Tivo has ever made. I have never used a premiere and have never been tempted to. The series 3 just works.

7. PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006
    I WAS using the older screen menus, the problem was the same. And I also tried using the slide remote, because I read that it would work when other remotes failed. Nope.

I should have written on the box, good idea. I of course TOLD BB that I had problems with it.

When I called to cancel my Lifetime on the new Premiere, I asked Tivo, is this a hardware issue, software, or what? They would not answer...... I am just glad I was within the 30 day window to cancel the service, and was able to return the unit.

I don't know what could be faster on the Series 3 that I have, the menus pop up fast as you click thru them. i guess transfers between Tivos could be quicker, or downloads from amazon.com, but I can live with that. I never upgraded the memory before,, so for this repair I just swapped out the hard drive for a new one from Weaknees.

8. Kamaru

Kamaru New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    I regret buying my premier, it was a complete disappointment once I started using it. Thankfully I still have my S3. I see absolutely no compelling reason to keep the Premier over the S3. I got the year long deal on the premier and have no plans to renew when it is up. I'll just continue using the S3 until it stops working, or TiVo goes back to making the kind of high quality hardware/software they used to. I no longer hold much hope that will happen.

If you have an S3, just stick with it.

9. GmanTiVo

GmanTiVo give me more options

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    +1

I may even try to pick up another S3 on ebay soon and then add a 2TB drive..... create another 25 Season Passes and let it rip :D

Gman

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

why would you do that? Doesn't sound like anything more than the usual premiere complaints. in this case you might as well just take a sharpy to the tv department and write on every tivo box if you think the current premier software is so buggy as to be unusable.

All you are doing is wasting someone's money (not sure if tivo or best buy) to have the unit rebuild when it's going to be exactly the same. And no consumer gets the discount of buying the open box.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy New Member

Sep 30, 2011
    I am not sure what problems people are having with Premiere models but I am new to Tivo purchasing a new Tivo Premiere XL just a few weeks ago. My new Tivo has performed perfectly with no problems whatsoever. It has not had even the slightest hiccup of a problem. Someone mentioned remote problems, I do not use the Tivo remote at all and only use my URC MX-850 to control my system. Anyway I have not experienced any problems at all.

12. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Someone said the S3 won't take a 2TB. Let us know how you make out...

13. robin50

robin50 Member

Feb 14, 2007
    The S3 can indeed use a 2 TB drive. I am staring at six Series3 units right now, each sporting a 2 TB drive. Such drives are available on eBay right now for ~$115.

14. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    Good to know...

15. GmanTiVo

GmanTiVo give me more options

Mar 8, 2003
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Yes they do. I purchased one on eBay as well for approx $140 all in from Stephan790 (search for Western Digital AVGP WD20EURS). The non AVGP models can be had for $25 less.

Gman

16. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    Another advantage to the Premier is that you would only need 1 cablecard, not 2 (assuming your cable company uses M cards, which most do). If you're paying for your cablecards, this could save you some money. The TivoHD also only needs 1.

17. PatMcNJ

PatMcNJ Member

May 21, 2006
    Cable cards are $2 month for me, so it is only an extra $24/year.

I had returned my original single stream cards, before I realized I would be an idiot not to try and repair my Series 3 with lifetime service. So when I got the new hard drive, I went back in to get 2 cards. They only had the multi cards and I had to convince them that I WAS sure I needed 2 of them (from reading this board, I knew I could use either 2 single streams or 2 multi). Again when I called to have them paired to my account during the install, Cablevision was confused. I kept saying, this is an OLD Series 3, needs 2 cards, they go in the back, etc.

But it is all good now. I just have to return my 3rd cable card that I had in my buggy Premier.

18. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    While you can buy a pre-configured 2TB drive for an S3 OLED, there is no current way to DIY.

19. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I'm happy for those with well functioning Premieres, and the ONLY premier I would definitely buy would be the Elite, but it won't support OTA, so no go here.

The S3's get the job done, and get it don well. I have ethernet for my transfer between TiVo's so even HD content transfer VERY fast compared to the nightmare of wireless.

Too many bugs reported and tirades about the Premiere right now for me to get one, although the OTA only promotional rate of $9.99 could get me to get one if I can get the box cheap enough. Also, too many folks using the OLD S3 interface due to the Premier HD interface either not working well or even lacking the Kid's option.

In short, for me NO compelling reason to get a Premiere compared to my very well functioning and even fancier S3's and HDXL. Now the quad tuner is a very compelling reason to upgrade (save money on CableCards and even boxes is not lifetime), but no OTA support means no sale for me. Too bad. I really would have gotten an Elite.

I'll wait to see if there is ever a Series 5 and evaluate a change then, IF TiVo even plans any more boxes for retail subscribers such as us. We'll have to see.

20. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    I've replace power supplies and hard drives to keep my wonderful series 3 lifetime units going. Someday there will be an issue not easily solved and that's where a tough decision comes.

Buy another series 3 and lifetime it, or go with newer hardware and spend the lifetime money on it.:confused: