Series 3 Tivo in the UK?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by DanielB, Feb 21, 2009.

1. DanielB

DanielB New Member

Sep 7, 2007

Advertisements

If you were to buy a TiVo from Australia for AU$700 (approx £320) is there any way that either subscribing to TiVo UK or something like digiguide you could get the epg and some if not all the TiVo features working. I know in Oz they managed to get S1 Tivos working their prior to TiVo releasing so would there be a way to S3 working here?

I would be happy to give TiVo the £320 for a S3 Tivo, and even pay the sub, but I am guessing none of this is possible, or am I wrong....?

2. staffie2001uk

staffie2001uk New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Preston,...
    I'm not sure if discussion of some of what you're asking is permissible on this forum, however:

If the Aus TiVo uses the same format of guide data as a S1 UK TiVo then it should be possible to use it in the UK if TiVo would allow you to subscribe it. I believe that they don't allow this. Why they don't, I cannot understand.

Assuming that they don't and assuming that the Aus TiVo uses the same guide format, it may be possible to spoof the Aus TiVo's service ID with that of a S1 that you own so that it could download UK guide data. However, I am pretty certain that this is a taboo subject for this forum, and may not be too easy anyway.

Personally, I have no moral objection to the idea. If you pay one subscription and use one TiVo, I cannot see any way that you are disadvantaging TiVo inc. They don't sell later model TiVos in the UK, or any TiVos in the UK, so you would not be affecting their income stream in any way.

I would happily pay a monthly sub to get an Aus TiVo if it worked in the UK. I can understand that TiVo may not want the outlay of a specific UK manufacturing and marketing operation, but why can't we import and use the Aus TiVos?

3. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    The first problem would be seeing if it actually tunes to our UK DTT (freeview).
    AIUI the Aus S3 tivo has no external input via scart - it can only record via its internal digital tuners.

4. DanielB

DanielB New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I guess that kills my interest, I have no freeview (live at the bottom of a hill) and need external input for sky. :-(

5. DanielB

DanielB New Member

Sep 7, 2007

Advertisements

I guess that also means that even if you could have an external sky box connected via RF, that as it was not designed to have an external input that it has no ability to send IR channel change instructions to an external device.

The quest continues.....

6. staffie2001uk

staffie2001uk New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Preston,...
    I think that it has already been established in other threads that the Australian DTT is similar to the UK and tha the Aus TiVo has hardware that can receive UK DTT signals.

7. DanielB

DanielB New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    What do they do for cable or is there no cable?

8. staffie2001uk

staffie2001uk New Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Preston,...
    As I understand it, the Aus TiVo is in conjunction with a comercial DTT broadcaster in direct competition to cable and satellite broadcasters. So, as far as TiVo in Australia is concerned, they don't do cable or satellite.