Series 3 TiVo gets stuck and reboots

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ac3dd, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1 of 11
    ac3dd

ac3dd New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Recently when watching playbacks of recorded shows, the TiVo sometimes gets stuck for about a minute, with the picture frozen and it doesn't respond to the remote (although the red light may flash on the front panel to show that it's acknowledging a signal from the remote, albeit not acting on it). Then it reboots.

This happened with 3 or 4 separate shows in the past week, and it is repeatable for any given instance of a recorded show. If I fast forward to the point in a show where it got stuck last time and press Play, it gets stuck again and reboots. However if I delete the same show and record a repeat of the same episode, it doesn't happen again when playing the re-recording.

Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it? Is this a sign of impending hard drive failure?

2. Nov 1, 2011 #2 of 11
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Could be that it only happens when a show is recorded on a bad portion of the hard drive. If you search the forum for "kickstart" codes you can get a report of what may be wrong with the drive. If the drive is bad, replacing it is fairly straightforward.

3. Nov 1, 2011 #3 of 11
    ac3dd

ac3dd New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    I tried the kickstart codes and nothing happened, it just went through the usual reboot process.

But I might be misinterpreting the instructions. When the instructions refer to waiting for a "yellow light" coming on, what exactly is it? When the TiVo logo shines in the middle of the front panel it's yellow, and the arc of buttons on the right also shines yellow. Which is it? Or is it something else, like a dot-sized yellow light?

4. Nov 2, 2011 #4 of 11
    kumaaz99

kumaaz99 Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I'm having the same problem. Most of the time when the green indicator catches up to the signal the picture buzzes & freezes then TIVO reboots. I was having this problem 6 months ago and got a replacement TIVO. I've found this only happens with digital HD channels. The test shows the external hard drive is ok but since I get the same issue on a second unit, I'm thinking it may be that drive. Does anyone know if there's a way to format it?

5. Nov 2, 2011 #5 of 11
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Suggest you get the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software and run the long test.

As for kickstarts, so far in my experience the time to hit the pause button occurs approximately 60 seconds after applying power to the TiVo. At that time you'll see some change in the front panel lights. Unless the drive is so screwed that it never happens, in which case the TiVo will never get past the initial "welcome" screen.

6. Nov 2, 2011 #6 of 11
    ac3dd

ac3dd New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Once I have to go to the trouble of removing the hard drive, I'm not putting the same one back in with all these doubts surrounding it. So I'll just prepare for an upgrade (current drive is 500GB). But I'll have to do the research on which drive to choose without spending $200+ for a prepackaged kit, and how to transfer the old recordings to the new drive.

7. Nov 2, 2011 #7 of 11
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As I just said to somebody around here somewhere, as long as you're opening up the TiVo, go to badcaps.net and educate yourself on "capacitor disease" and carefully examine the power supply's capacitors.

A marginal and/or flaky power supply can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

8. Nov 3, 2011 #8 of 11
    ac3dd

ac3dd New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Thanks. I read the site, and I'll check out the capacitors when I open up the TiVo.

I find it odd that the 1.5TB drives are cheaper than the 1TB drives. I suppose I can just install the 1.5TB and it will use 1TB without a problem? I've already repurposed the original TiVo drive, so I don't have the option to get it to use the whole 1.5T.

9. Nov 3, 2011 #9 of 11
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You may run into a problem of already having as many partitions on a single drive as are allowed.

What's the model number of your TiVo, what size was the original drive, and which software did you use to move to the 500?

Which 1TB drives have you seen where at what price and which 1.5TB drives where at what price?

10. ac3dd

ac3dd New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Amazon has a 1.5TB Western Digital Green for $82. The WD Green 1TB is over $100 at Amazon and Newegg. I also looked at some Hitachi drives but don't remember which exactly but none were as cheap as $82. Yes I am aware of the reboot problem with the WD Greens and I'm prepared to run that utility to prevent it.

Even if I limit it to 1TB? I don't need 1.5TB.

I got the Series 3 in 2006, not very long after it was first released. The upgrade was a prebuilt drive from Weaknees, nothing was transferred from the original drive.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    While I'm finding out if the 2TB Seagate on sale at BestBuy and bestbuy.com for $75 will work okay in an S3 HD (TCD652xxx),

EDIT: Here's what I know so far

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=478254

END EDIT

suggest you start reading the drive expansion and replacement thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=370784

It's long, but there's a lot if info in there, it's where I learned a lot.