Series 3 stuck in powering up loop after update

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by etekberg, Oct 31, 2011.

1. etekberg

etekberg New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    I haven't found a thread matching these symptoms yet, so thought I'd ask.

I bought a lifetime Series 3 off e-bay. Upon connecting it up it was stuck in the powering-up, reset loop. I thought it might be a bad drive, so I restored a virgin series 3 image on another drive (320gb) with mfsLive. That worked until it came to do the software update. It wound up getting stuck on the powering-up reset loop again after the software update. I tried yet another drive with the same results - works fine (including restarts) until it applies the software update.

Any ideas on what the problem is, or what to look at before I send it back?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Go to badcaps.net and learn how to visually spot capacitor disease and carefully examine your power supply, especially the bigger capacitors on the output side under the heat sink.

Wonky power supplies can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

That's probably not what's wrong, but a more accurate way of saying that is that it probably isn't what's wrong yet, so as long as you're going to have the thing apart anyway...

I'm assuming you're letting the TiVo phone the mothership and that when it does it's downloading the latest version of the software and then choking on the install.

You may find a clue somewhere in these 22 pages:

http://www.********.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390

which includes mention of try it with cable cards removed,

but if we can get it back to the old software without rewriting the drive, that'll tell us something.

go here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

and learn the tricks to getting kickstart codes to run and then start with KS58

After that, if still problems, try KS 51 or 52 (one of them flips the bootpage, but I can't find out which one).

As a last resort, try it without the modem or internet connection physically hooked up.