Series 3 sometimes fails to record HD audio

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by solind, Mar 10, 2011.

1. solind

solind New Member

Jan 15, 2007

Advertisements

Our Series 3 *sometimes* fails to record audio on HD channels. This is, naturally, intensely annoying. Since it would only happen occasionally, and we lived in something of a backwater, we originally assumed that local stations were failing to properly broadcast their HD content.

Now we live in Austin, where people should have their stuff together, and it still happens at least once every few weeks. It's not restricted to any particular HD channel, but when the problem strikes, it seems to fail to record ANY audio on ANY HD channel.

Going to the CableCARD settings and testing the channel seems to clear the problem (I just discovered this).

So, what's the problem? Anyone have similar symptoms? I'm getting tired of paying Amazon to download HD shows that I already tried to record, but my stupid TiVo failed to capture the audio...

2. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Wonder if it really is recording the audio, just not playing it back correctly, or not decoding it properly in the TV or audio receiver. How is audio connected to your TV or receiver?

3. solind

solind New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Input to the box is simply the coax cable.

Last night, I checked the station on which it had just failed to record the audio and there was no audio. So I went to the CableCARD setup/test feature, and the audio worked. Then when I went back to LiveTV it was working.

Regular (NTSC/non-HD) channels worked fine the whole time.

So, this is indicating to me that there's some intermittent problem decoding the audio, and it's a problem with the TiVo, not the CableCARDs or the HD signal.

4. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Could be that toggling the CableCARD setup causes a reinitialization of the audio stream to a downstream device.

What is the -output- from the TiVo to the TV, specifically the audio. HDMI? RCA?

And what is decoding the audio, the TV or an audio receiver?

5. TiVolunteer

TiVolunteer lotta lurk rare post

Jul 10, 2001
    Cary, NC

Advertisements

Two or three times a month I hit a show where no sound comes out of any source (I have R/W audio connected to the TV and digital connected to the sound system -- neither work in this situation).

However, everytime this occurs I can get sound by letting it play for a few seconds without sound then hitting the 8 second skip-back button. After that the sound is just fine. Just hitting rewind doesn't seem to work.

Only happens on the Series 3. Never seen it on the TiVoHD.

Your problem may be an entirely different one, but I figured you might want to try it anyway.

6. Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK
    I have a similar problem sometimes when switching between SD and HD programming. Usually hitting 30 second skip or the 8 second back will fix it. Occasionally I have to go back to the NPL and select a different recording, once it plays with sound I can back out and play the previous recording with no problems.