Series 3: Some HD Channels Gone

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Toob_Sox, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Toob_Sox

Toob_Sox New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    So my pops is watching TV with his Series 3 when he sees something that looks like one of those weekly warnings or emergency signals. Not sure if that's important or not but soon thereafter he loses a few HD channels. He can tune to the station but all it says is "channel not available". No signal. He gets other HD channels but not CNN and a couple other stations around the area.

He confirmed that he is able to tune to the same channel on another TV in the house (HD as well). So this doesn't appear to be the matter of a channel kind up change.

Charter, the cable provider, didn't have any immediate solutions. They are sending someone out tomorrow.

Any thoughts on this? I was thinking weak signal or a bad card. Thanks everyone.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Does that other TV use any kind of cable box? Maybe one with a built in TA for SDV?

If so, try tuning to the channel with the TV and then see if the TiVo can see if.

3. Toob_Sox

Toob_Sox New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Yes the other tv has a cable box and can View the channel that the TiVo can't. Not sure about the built in stuff.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm thinking that popup notice thing could have been an announcement that the channel was going to become available only by Switched Digital Video, where they only use bandwidth to put it on the cable in that neighborhood, or set of neighborhoods, if somebody's machine asks for it, instead of putting it on there 24/7.

Under those circumstances a TiVo needs a Tuning Adapter (which connects to the TiVo via USB and I guess the co-ax passes through it).

That way, when the TiVo asks for a particular channel, the requests goes out the USB port to the TA and it sends the request back up the cable to the head end or thereabouts.

There's at least one thread around here about what a tremendous pain in the posterior they are, and probably a thread about it for each different cable company that's doing SDV.