Series 3 S03 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by David Knowles, Oct 24, 2009.

1. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005

Advertisements

Hello,

I have an original Series 3.

I noticed it wasn't downloading data and I noticed it was failing with an S03 error.

After doing some research online, someone said that clearing program info and to do list fixed the problem.

I started this today, and after more that 4 hours it was still doing this.

I called Tivo. They said that it should not have taken this long. They suggested I do a kickstart-57, which I did.

The green screen came up and lasted for about 10-15 mins then the system rebooted. It is now stuck in this loop. Is this normal?

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Sorry to hear about the troubles with your TiVo Series3. The S03 error means that TiVo has encountered corrupted data. Kickstart 57 (MFS assert) tries to identify the corrupt data, correct it and return TiVo to a normal condition. The diagnostic/repair can take from a few minutes to a few hours. If it completes successfully TiVo should reboot to a normal state. A reboot loop is not normal and likely means that there are additional problems, probably with the hard drive.

You could try one TiVo's other diagnostic/repair programs, Kickstart 58. It's started exactly the same way except for entering the numbers 5 and 8.

You could also try running Kickstart 54, an MFS hard drive diagnostic that will tell you if your hard drive has problems.

More about Kickstarts can be found here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5643823#post5643823

Let us know how it goes. There is a chance that the hard drive is failing and will need to be replaced. It's a fairly simple procedure which you can do yourself or you can buy a pre-imaged drive and install it.

More information about hard drive replacements and upgrades can be found on the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5616160#post5616160

Best of luck!

3. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005
    I've tried this numerous times, exactly as written.

After I pressed 54, the reboot continues and goes to "Few minutes more..." screen, then goes into the green screen.

Thanks for your help...

4. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Ah, that's too bad. Try giving this a try; unplug and disconnect everything (coax, broadband, wireless adapter or phone line, etc.) except your TV from TiVo and try stating it up. Does it act normally? It's possible that something connected to it is causing a problem, but it's more than likely a hard drive failing.

When you say "green screen" are you referring to the GSOD (MFS assert) screen...looks like this:

[​IMG]

Or is it just a green screen, no text?

If it's the GSOD and it continues to reboot there's a very good chance that your hard drive has failed. Since you wouldn't be able to use it to image a new drive you can replace the drive yourself by buying a bare hard drive (a new 1TB drive is under $100 now) and imaging it with Instant Cake. That will basically give you a "new" TiVo which means you'll need to run guided setup again and probably have your cableco come out to pair your cable cards just as if you had a brand new box.

Or you can purchase a pre-imaged drive from Weaknees or DVRUpgrade (the same place that sells Instant Cake). Again, everything you need to know can be found in the first post of the Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ.

Or you can replace your TiVo. IIRC TiVo will exchange a Series3 (out of warranty) for $149 if they have any refurbs in stock. Or you could buy a newer TiVo HD or HDXL.

Hope that helps.

5. David Knowles

David Knowles Member

Apr 8, 2005

Advertisements

Yeah thats the screen I see - I am never able to see the HD test menu at all.

TiVo says they are able to exchange the unit for $149 since it's out of warranty.

I've replaced a drive in a TiVo before (not this one) and it worked, but I don't have the time and the patience to do it again.

I think I will take the easy road this time...

Thanks again for your help.

6. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Sounds good...glad to help any time!

7. schneidercom

schneidercom New Member

Aug 26, 2004
    My Tivo series 3 was working fine until the other day, but wouldn't update the guide (S03 error). I read that kickstart 57 might help, but now its stuck in a perpetual gsod reboot cycle. Anyone else having this problem all of a sudden? Seems odd that my hard drive would be bad when it was working fine until this weekend. Any reports of problems with the latest update?

Any other way to get rid of the gsod?

8. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Did you try pulling the plug (wait 10 seconds for the HDD to spin down) and plug it back in? If the MFS assert (GSOD) screen shows up again, there's a problem with the drive.

The last software update (v11.0.d) was in July.