Series 3 Remote issues??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bferrell, Oct 16, 2009.

1. bferrell

bferrell Now in HD!

Jun 22, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH

Advertisements

Is anybody else having issues with their remotes all of the sudden. I have 2 Series 3 units that have never really had problems, and all of the sudden the remotes hardly work. I bought a new remote because I thought one was just getting old (I've had them both since the first week), but it and new batteries don't make a difference, neither does distance from the unit. The symptom is the remote will work for several commands, and then will ignore everything for a few (3ish) seconds, and then it will work again for a few commands. It doesn't matter what the commands are, or which of the 2 S3s I'm using. Nothing else has changed, it does it during the day and night, one TV is LCD, and the other is plasma, so I don't think it's interference... the light on the remote blinks, but the Tivo doesn't acknowledge with the orange "command received" light... HUGELY ANNOYING, needless to say....

2. bferrell

bferrell Now in HD!

Jun 22, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oh, and I've tried powering down the TV and restarting the S3s, to no effect as well. HELP! This is driving me crazy...

3. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    I noticed the same thing yesterday and tonight with my TiVoHD. Took out rechargeable batteries and put in standard batteries and so far, so good. The rechargeable batteries were freshly charged earlier tonight.

4. PAP

PAP Member

Oct 6, 1999
    Ohio
    Having exact same issues here - for last several weeks we get long delays in tivo response to remotes. Then will work fine.

Typically we're working over an IR repeater system that has worked great for several years.

The strange thing is that for awhile my wife could walk down to the tivo unit, put the remote right up to the sensor and then press something on the remote and then it would start working again for a little bit.

We've changed batteries, no success.

Going insane here!

5. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA

Advertisements

Same thing here for about a few days. Changed batteries long delays to no response. Then the remote only work in TiVo Central and no control of key pad to punch in channels. Also, remote would go off by itself blinking as if searching for a link to the TiVo. Ordered a new Harmony remote and when it arrived the glow remote started working great. Harmony remote will be sent back, prefer the Tivo Glow Remote balance so I can twirl it with one hand.

6. trlyka

trlyka Member

May 21, 2003
    Black Series 3 Glo Remote-When My Mom's presses a button, the Tivo makes the sound about 10-15 times even though she may only hit a button once. This is happeneing using most any button on the remote with the exception of Volume, Channel, Pause.... I guess only buttons that create a sound is when the noise repeats, even in the Tivo menu. Like if she presses the Tivo button to get to the menu, that sound goes off 10-15 times. The same goes for all other sounds you hear while navigating the menu. She checked all the buttons to make sure they aren't stuck. The batteries were just changed. The repetitive sounds is enough to drive anyone nuts :eek: Any thoughts as to what may be causing this?

UPDATE:My Mom rebooted the Tivo and that seemed to fix the issue. After all the reading up on this issue, I was sure it was another IR sensor somewhere on another remote or device like her computer mouse. Guess not...HTH someone else :)

7. mdblanke

mdblanke New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Toledo, Ohio
    I just installed a TiVo HD and the remote work fine for the first 2 days and then this morning it stopped working properly. It would take a command but then nothing for several seconds up to a min and then take another command. I unpluged the unit for more than 15 seconds once and then did it again and now it works. I know it was not just the remote because i a also have a Harmony Universal remote that would not work or was working the exact same way. I dont know if this is an issue with the lattest TiVo's but it seems to be a problem with the TiVo.:mad:

8. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Have you looked at the other remote threads? It could very easily be a setting on your TV (back-lighting is the normal culprit) that is interfering with remotes. Try looking at your TV settings and see if you can change things there to get the remote to work.

9. mithriltabby

mithriltabby New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I was having problems where it took two button presses to tell the TiVo anything: I'd push a button and it would send the signal, then I'd push it again and it just turned off the backlight on the remote. I turned off the backlight feature on the remote (hold down the TiVo and Thumbs Down buttons until it blinks three times) and the problem went away; turned it back on and it returned.

10. fullerton187

fullerton187 New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I've had the same issue. Restarted multiple times. Nothing will fix after months. Eventually my Series 3 box starts receiving the signals after "waking up". Probably a software issue, as I'm betting we all received a software update to allow for switched digital.

11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Your issue sounds like it could be the standard "TV is emitting IR noise until it warms up" that is affecting quite a few people (search other threads). Hardware problems can also cause the issue, with the TiVo being busy logging the hardware problem (eg ethernet glitches) which interferes with the IR reception.

It's amazing how many people are blaming their problems on a software update when we haven't had one in close to 8 months (and that one did nothing with remotes as far as anybody knows.)

12. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    I'm relieved to find out that other people are having this same intermittent problem. I thought my TiVo was on the way out (although it still may be). Since I have lifetime service on that Series 3, I would hate to see it go.

I, too, thought it was a low battery problem at first because that is just what it mimics. It's so annoying when I'm trying to fast forward a short distance and then can't stop it because the TiVo quits responding to the remote. Battery changes don't make a difference.

I'll try turning off the backlight to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. PhillyGuy

PhillyGuy Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Interesting, I've noticed the exact same problem in the last week or so. I thought it was my battery, so changed to fresh battery. Still having problem. Feels really sluggish. Often have to press it multiple times and have to aim directly at the Tivo.

Hope there's a fix soon.

14. ScubaCat

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    While watching TiVo last night the intermittent problem with the remote was particularly bad. I remembered the fix suggested here about turning off the back lighting on the remote and tried it. After that fix I did not have any more problems! I'll wait a few days before claiming it totally solves the problem but it looks hopeful! Thanks for the tip! :up:

15. ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...
    yup - same here -
    funny, saw the comment about "back lighting" ?

just setup a new HDTV - a Samsung 40" - LN40B630 -

16. ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...
  17. ScubaCat

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Thanks for the link to that additional info. I do have a Samsung LCD TV so maybe I can make an adjustment there instead of on the TiVo remote so I can have my remote back lighting back. I do miss it.

What still does not make sense to me is that I've had my Samsung LNS4092D and TiVo Series 3 for a couple of years. This problem only started in the last couple of months. Very odd.

18. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Any chance that someone changed the backlighting on your LCD TV in the last few months. This what usually causes the problem. In most cases you just need to keep increasing the backilighting until the problem goes away.

19. ScubaCat

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no, I'm the only one in the house. I'm just glad there is a solution (or two!).