Series 3 malfunctioning

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nephorm, Apr 16, 2013.

1. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Hi,

My TiVo HD was working fine last night. Today, live TV seemed to be working fine. I hit the TiVo button to get to TiVo central, and clicked on "Now Playing." The Now Playing list was completely blank, though I could scroll up and down. I could not select anything, nor would the unit respond to remote control commands to go back to TiVo central or live tv. The amber light, however, did come on when I used the remote. Eventually it went back to live TV. I pulled the power and restarted the TiVo, but the problems remain; I can't even get into Messages and Settings; when I try to, it does eventually come up with the menu, but the unit stops responding to the remote and eventually restarts. Unfortunately, TiVo Desktop can't connect to the device to pull my programs off. Does anyone have any troubleshooting advice before I buy a new hard drive?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Give Kickstart 58 a try, and if it works, while you've got the machine opened to copy the entire drive to a nice new 2TB WD20EURS, eyeball the capacitors in the power supply for even the slightest sign of bulge or leakage.

3. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Unfortunately, I can't run the Kickstarts, since I can't get into the reset/restart system menu.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Look up how they work, they are not a menu item. Pull the plug to reboot, and follow the procedure. Can be tricky, but menus are unnecessary (not not helpful for these).

5. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I stopped reading the instructions hastily - failure to properly engage brain. Thanks!

I'm running WinDLG on the drive at the moment. It has passed the quick test, but I'll let the extended test run for a couple of hours before I try the kickstart.

6. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    The estimated time for the diagnostic ended up being two and a half days. So I killed it, put the drive back in, and tried the kickstart 58. Rather than bringing up the GSOD, I ended up getting "Installing a service update." It has been on that for about twenty minutes.

I did check the capacitors, and there were no leaks or bulges.

7. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Well... it finally came up to TiVo central, but was non-responsive to the remote. I pulled the power, and the unit goes straight from "Powering Up" to a grey screen. Kickstarts don't work, at this point. It seems odd that the Western Digital software didn't detect any errors. Is it possible to use winMFS or some other tool to just reimage the software, while leaving the recordings?

8. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It's not clear what you have done from this comment. You ran a kickstart or did you use the WD drive tool to test the drive?

There are other kickstarts to try, and my recollection is they are not dependent upon reading the disc to initiate.

Anyhow, I would pull the drive and use the WD software in a PC. Start with the quicker tests and then run to the full tests. Unless you can get the drive to work, the content is gone.

If the disc is bad, and you need to start from scratch, I believe there are images to be found.

9. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Sorry. Here is what I did:

1) Pulled the drive and ran the WD diagnostics. Passed SMART test, and passed the quick tests. The full test was going to take over two days, so I aborted it.

2) Put the drive back in, tried Kickstart 58. Instead of loading the GSOD, it came up with "installing software update." After that, it came up with a frozen TiVo Central. Subsequent reboots went straight to a grey screen, and did not allow for a kickstart.

3) Put a new 1.5TB drive in, with a fresh image. It comes up just fine.

I guess my next step is to try fixboot on the old drive.

10. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I bet a long WD test will find some bad sectors. Are you connecting the drive to the PC with USB? While that can take forever, my experience is that it will go faster than reported, but YMMV. If you use something other than USB it could be a lot faster (reported, never tried).

11. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I'm using on-board SATA. I guess I'll go ahead and run the extended test, and use the new drive for now.

12. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Well, that's that. The extended test finished faster this time, with a failure due to too many bad sectors. Good thing I had the extra drive.

13. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I used SATA on a new 2TB drive and it took 5 hours. Also, I tested a "bad" 1 TB WD drive and it took 4 hours.

14. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Same results I had. Check the S/N on the WDC site. Mine was expired but the rep sent me a new drive anyway. I had a WD10EARS and he sent me a WD20EZRX. I now have 318 HD hours!

Do you still have the original drive as well? I did and that is how I proved the 1TB drive was bad anyway.

15. nephorm

nephorm New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    My warranty expired in 2011, so I doubt they'd give me anything. I have the original drive somewhere, though I'm not sure where. Doesn't matter, though, since the 1.5 TB drive I had sitting around seems to work fine.

16. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OK, mine was good 'til 1/2013, but he extended it 90 days.

17. ACVillano

ACVillano New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Hello everyone I have a Series 3 THX lifetime and a Series 3 Non THX Non Lifetime. My THX Lifetime has begun ignoring remote commands now will not pass start up screen.
    plugged in Non Lifetime unit to cable and get tv shows.
    Capacitors look good but I swapped power supply boards no change. Swapped hard drives no change. I will try clear and delete if I can get that far.
    By swapping hard drives are they particular to the unit (saved serial number for lifetime) or something else on it?
    Ghost the hard drive what software do I use and assume this is done setting up hard drive externally?
    This kickstart58 program where do I find that?
    Thank you

18. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    The tivo has to be able to recognize remote commands to utilize the kickstart codes that are entered when the tivo is booting. I don't think the power supplies and hard drives are interchangeable between those two models. The hard drives are at least 12 years old. Capacitors don't always look bad when the power supply fails on these models. You should put the power supply and hard drives back in their original tivos. You could disconnect the tivo sata power connector and hook up the sata power connector from a pc to the hard drive in your THX tivo to take some load off the tivo power supply and see if it will boot up.

pl1 likes this.
  19. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Post the actual model numbers of your boxes. I know the THX unit has to be an original S3 648, but if the other one is a THD 652, then the power supplies are NOT interchangeable. Either replace all the electrolytic caps on that power supply or start looking for another old S3 to cannibalize.

If you have never replaced the caps on that original power supply, the odds are about 99.5% that it is your problem.

The hard drives are also not interchangeable - if the two boxes were the same model number, then you could do that for a quick test (it would at least boot properly if there were no other problems), but the drive would still have to be wiped with a CDE to work in the new unit. But for you to test a new drive in your S3 648 box, you will need either a drive from another 648, or a fresh drive with a image from a 648 restored to it.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Here’s the kickstart info on weaknees.com:
    TiVo Kickstart Codes and Information
    Note that the procedures vary with the model number. And there are other KS codes that might apply to your situation also.

Your Series 3 TiVo’s don’t owe you a thing. You’ve had much longer service from them than most do.