Series 3 lost network connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by resiroof, Sep 22, 2011.

1. resiroof

resiroof New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    i have a wired home network and two series 3 units. one HD, one premiere.

the HD unit has stopped seeing the network. no changes here in connections. the Premiere is working fine with the network and my computers also working fine.

how can i diagnose where the problem is? is there onboard diagnostics? i have unplugged cable and tivo. no change. the message is no dhcp connection. i tried letting the unit assign an ip address also with no luck.

the unit works fine otherwise. it says there is no network connection. not good with the new tv season just starting.

this unit is about 4 years old.

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Have you checked the connection at the switch/router? Have you tried a different port on the switch? Reset the router? Verified that the Ethernet cable is OK?

3. resiroof

resiroof New Member

Feb 17, 2010

thanks for the input but...

ethernet cable is run in the wall of new house. have two cat cable connections in the room. both gave same result so tried different port too. reset the router too.

i also have a usb TiVo wireless connection that gave the same error message. can't access the dchp connection.

now what?

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Figure out how many DHCP addresses you have to have on your network, i.e., devices to which you cannot assign a static IP because you carry them someplace else and attach to a different network occasionally.

Double that number, then set your router to hand out DHCP addresses from xxx.xxx.xxx.254 down to whatever number gets you that many.

Everything below that will be static IPs.

I do routers from .1 to .10, NAS devices from .100 down, computers from .101 to .200, and TiVos from .201 up.

Go into the phone and network settings and force all of your TiVos to have a static IP address you assign it.

Reboot entire network, including modem.

Can't hurt, might help.

Also, you'll know what the IP for the misbehaving TiVo is, and you can try to ping it, or get to it via https: to see if it's attaching to the network at all.

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Do both jacks in the room go to the same port on the router?

6. resiroof

resiroof New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    i have done stuff like this before but i am definitely not proficient.

i have not changed anything on my network recently. i also can't connect with the wireless tivo thing. does that mean more or less likely to be the tivo hardware?

7. resiroof

resiroof New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    nope. they go to different but adjacent ports on the switch.

i am very busy at work the next couple of days so probably won't have time until at least sunday and that depends on what the wife has planned for me.

Carl

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have a total of 4 TiVos? 2 of the original Series 3 (TCD648xxx)? Plus a Series 3 platform HD (TCD652) and a Premiere?

Or do you have a series 3 HD and the mistaken impression that the Premiere is a Series 3, when it's actually considered a Series 4 (although I don't know if TiVo themselves actually use that terminology)

I'm going to guess you only have 2 TiVos.

Are both in the same room? Can the Premiere connect to the router over both (one at a time, so I really meant either) of those Ethernet cables that run to that room? If so, then the cables are good and the router is good.

I'm pretty sure the Ethernet jack on the back of the TiVos has 2 very small LEDs on either side, probably one to indicate connection and the other to indicate activity.

Turn the HD so you can see the back, while being able to see the TV screen at the same time. Go into the menus until you find something about network status. Plug in one of the cables. See if one of the LEDs lights up. See if the screen says something about wired connection. If not, wiggle the plug in the jack slowly.

9. resiroof

resiroof New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    i have two tivo here. i checked the ethernet plugs. you are right they have two lights each.the good one, has a solid green light i take to be the power light which is solid green on both. the other light blinks intermittently green on the good one and intermittently amber on the bad one.

next task is to switch one of the units to the other room and see what happens. it will be easier to move the bad one first to see if it works in the good tivo room.

insomnia is my friend. no interruptions from work or family at 3:13am.

i might as well do it now.

Carl

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You must be on the left coast.

I'm a little confused.

In which room is the router?

In which room is the television?

In which room is the "good" TiVo?

In which room is the "misbehaving" TiVo?

To which room is it that those 2 Ethernet cables run from the router?

11. resiroof

resiroof New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    it worked in my other location with the connections from the other tivo.

will answer questions tomorrow i hope. i have to be at work at 5:30am.

Carl