Series 3 Lifetime VIP Offer Expired

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Awalt, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Mar 3, 2007 #1 of 22
    Awalt

Awalt New Member

Dec 1, 2006

Advertisements

Thought I had until midnight Pacific Time on the 2nd but the website is showing that the offer has already expired. If anyone is aware of any extensions or exceptions please share.

2. Mar 3, 2007 #2 of 22
    DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    I elieve the website has been saying the offer had expired since Jan 31...

Did you call the VIP#, or are you trying to look for it?

Number is:
    (866) 424-8486

Google is your friend...cached page:
    S3 VIP

3. Mar 3, 2007 #3 of 22
    mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    You have to call to get the VIP transfer done. They stop answering the phones and go home long before midnight.

4. Mar 4, 2007 #4 of 22
    Sterling252

Sterling252 New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Same thing happened with me. I tried several times during the day but my work schedule did not allow me to be on hold as long as the queue was requiring. I called again when I got home only to get a message that customer service was closed. There was no mention of any time limitation on the offer (just the 2nd) and in today's day and age most technology customer support centers have some type of 24-hour capability. I even tried to send an email but of course there's not a single customer support email address on TIVO's website.

I, like many of you, have been a huge TIVO supporter from essentially day 1. Bought Series 1, 2, and 3 immediately upon release. I've talked many, many of my friends and family into buying TIVOs. But it doesn't appear that TIVO support cares. I spoke with them today and got absolutely nowhere. And when I asked to speak with the supervisor of the supervisor I was told he couldn't give me that person's name nor ask them to call me. Huh? When I asked who I could talk to further he transferred me into an automated survey where I could offer feedback on that call.

I understand policies but this is just ridiculous. I even offered to send them proof that I called on the 2nd. I've now sent a fax to their corporate office so we'll see where this goes. Right now I'm very disappointed in the customer support I've received.

5. Mar 4, 2007 #5 of 22
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME

Advertisements

That sucks, but that's what you get for waiting to the last minute.

Tivo's website pretty clearly states that phone support is available from 7am-8pm PST

6. Mar 4, 2007 #6 of 22
    pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    I somewhat feel for you, but how about the fact that this offer has been on the table since September 2006? And how do you think people feel when they abide by the guidelines only to find out the offer has been extended another two months after they rushed to get in by the first "deadline"? And I wouldn't be at all surprised if they extend the offer again. All I am saying is that there are two ways to look at it and it doesn't always seem fair to all parties involved.

I will say this, after they extended the offer on 12/31/06 (to 1/31/07), I found I could not resist buying a second unit and transferring a second lifetime. So, for me anyway, their strategy paid off with a second sale. But, I tried to follow THOSE rules as well, and I transferred way before the deadline of Jan 31, 2007. But, TiVo generously ignored that deadline and transferred lifetimes up until March 2. You do have to stop somewhere or you lose the "incentive" factor. My guess is that they will eventually let anyone with a life transfer to the S3.

7. Mar 4, 2007 #7 of 22
    byrne

byrne New Member

Dec 24, 2006
    This is your fault for assuming the VIP hotline was open 24 hours a day.. If you had ever called the Tivo VIP hotline after 8 PM pacific time, you would have received a recording detailing what hours the line is open (i.e. that they close at 8 PM pacific time)

8. Mar 4, 2007 #8 of 22
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It's a bit amusing just how many different ways a company can find to be unclear in stating policies, isn't it?

First there was the whole language about DirecTV lifetime not having been expressly stated as excluded that appeared to have been dealt with by extending the transfer offer explicitly to include them, even though it was never stated in writing on the VIP transfer offer page.

Then when the offer was extended, the DirecTV lifetime units were explicitly excluded, which then caused problems with those who were activating units within the time period originally allowed from the original version of the offer as CSR's pointed to the new wording excluding DirecTV lifetime transfers.

And now the mention of a date is being taken to mean the last possible minute of the day mentioned... probably in the latest possible time zone (are these usable in Guam? :)). Actually I seem to recall some did run into the time thing during the last deadline of this offer.

I've noticed some larger sites online have for some time specified the time offers end as well, including time zone information. Perhaps TiVo needs to start doing this sort of thing, too. In the meantime, I would generally guess from past experience that contacting TiVoStephen will probably get those few people caught by this taken care of to their satisfaction (or we'll see the lifetime transfer offer gets extended/made again very soon).

9. Mar 4, 2007 #9 of 22
    byrne

byrne New Member

Dec 24, 2006
    So you purchased a Tivo Series 3 immediately upon release (i.e ~ Sep. 2006) and didn't bother calling into the VIP hotline until March 2nd? If you had purchased any type of monthly plan for use in between Sep 2006 and Feb 2007, then you would be ineligible for the VIP promotion anyways..

As far as the hold time, for me it was less than 10 minutes on both calls that I made to transfer the service. I purchased two Series 1 Tivo's off of ebay, and first transferred the lifetime (from the series 1) into my name, then made another call to the VIP hotline to transfer the lifetime service from series1 to series3. Most of the time I spent on the phone was to transfer the lifetime of the series1 into my name, since I needed the name, phone number, and address of the person I purchased the series1 from. The call to the VIP hotline was much easier and faster. My 2nd, most recent call to VIP (on Feb. 28th) was 17 minutes in length (wait time + credit card transaction + survey).

10. synch22

synch22 Member

Dec 30, 2003
    I called and it took 5 minutes from the time i dialed to have everything switched over.

11. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Good point! I missed that.

12. cokyq

cokyq New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Dallas/Fort...
    Processing the lifetime transfer for me took about 20 minutes, back in January. About 14-15 minutes on hold, and the rest was the time it took them to make the change and take my credit card info.

What would be nice on TIVO is to make start the one year extension on the original box as of March 2, the last day of the offer. I thought of waiting until March 1st to do the transfer but then decided trying to save one or two months of subscription on the original TIVO was not worth risking the possibility of missing the offer.

By making the expiration of the one year subscription on the original box the same for everyone (March 1, 2008), would not have encouraged people to wait until the last minute.

13. sunninho

sunninho Go Titans

Feb 8, 2007
    Culver City, CA
    No worries. It should all work out... just try again tomorrow morning and let us know.

14. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Has anyone tried transferring a lifetime subscription after 3/1, and if so, what was the result?

15. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    I transfered mine several months ago. I've been waiting for them to transfer it on my billing and it hadn't happened. I called them this morning and they have no record of me calling months ago. Uh, what!?!?!? Now what? I know I transfered it because I sent a couple of emails to some friends of mine telling them I did it. I remember talking to a guy in Albuquerque. At the same time I killed one of my other TIVOs.

They double billed me in October and November too. I don't know what's up with that. I obviously need to check my billing more often.

They kicked the lifetime issue up to someone who handles these types of issues. Maybe it will work out.

16. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    That won't help you as much as if TiVo sent you an e-mail confirming the transfer or if you have a record of the $199 transfer charge billed from TiVo prior to the 3/2/07 deadline.

17. Redhaze737

Redhaze737 New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    Yes, that would be nice. I didn't know they sent emails to confirm or I would have been on it earlier. And, they haven't ever charged my credit card. They did change the way they billed me on the other machine though. There must be a reason. Thin ice I know.

18. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    I don't think I got an email, but the charge did show up in "view billing history" almost immediately.

19. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    There you go, check your online account info when you log into TiVo.com.

20. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Tivo gave me case numbers for each transfer so I could "prove" it.