Series 3 Issues

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dwesnor, Aug 5, 2007.

1. dwesnor

dwesnor New Member

Aug 5, 2007
    When I record something on my series 3, it automatically sets it to be deleted in 2 days. This happens every time, unless I mark it "keep until I delete". I have plenty of room, less than 4 hours of HD recording and maybe 2 hours of SD recording. Also, it is set to keep 5 programs, and there are no upcoming programs within 2 days, so it's not deleting it to make room for a new episode.

Any ideas?

2. moxie1617

moxie1617 Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Chicago...
    When it sets it to be deleted in two days it only means that it is eligible for deletion. It won't be deleted until you run out of space.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It is not being set to delete in two days. It is being set as "available to delete in two days". If the space is not needed for other scheduled recordings it will not be deleted.

4. dwesnor

dwesnor New Member

Aug 5, 2007
    Nope, it's actually deleting them. The "keep until" date is shown as 2 days after the recording.

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The "keep until" date is proper. That is how they are marked unless you specify otherwise. However, they should not be actually deleted until the space is needed. Are you saying that they are being removed from the Now Playing List and moved into the Recently deleted Folder, or just disappearing from the Now Playing list?

In either case you may want to reboot the Tivo (unplug, wait 30 seconds, and replug).

6. bifsiff94

bifsiff94 Cliff Hanger

Dec 11, 2006
    Port...
    recordings can be grouped into 2 categories:

1) recordings not eligible to be deleted
    a) recordings marked - "keep until i delete"
    b) recordings that have not yet reached the "keep until" date

2) recordings that are eligible to be deleted
    a)TiVo suggestions
    b) recordings that have reached the "keep until" date

Recordings will always be deleted in this following order:

1) suggestions
    2) recordings by date - oldest to newest

If you have several suggestions recorded, those will always get deleted first. That is why the number of suggestions can be used as a guide to the amount of available recording space.

Just this morning, I watched a movie that had been recorded in June. It passed the "keep until" date 60 days ago, but did not get deleted because I've maintained a cushion of suggestions.

7. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    No it isn't.

No, it is "this program will be kept until at least [date]."

Tivo will NEVER delete a requested recording on its own unless:
    (1) The show is eligible for deletion, has been eligible for the longest time out of all eligible programs, there are no Suggestions left to recycle, and tivo actually needs the space right now to record a requested recording, or
    (2) The program is part of a season pass or auto-recording wishlist set with a "Keep At Most" setting, there are actually the KAM number of recordings in Now Playing, and a new episode is about to be recorded.