Series 3 HDMI with Sony HD TV - Freeze on power on

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by minnelli, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1 of 16
    minnelli

minnelli New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Hello all - long time lurker, first time poster. Tivo has failed to solve my issue and Tech support isn't real helpful. I'm on my second replacement box and we can't seem to solve the issue. SO here goes...

Series 3 with Sony HD TV and 2 Cable cards from Verizon

My first S3 worked fine for months connected through HDMI. A few months ago I started to get a dead Tivo when I turned the power on through my Tivo remote or the TV power button. I have tried everything Tivo suggested to no avail - changing the power outlet, changing cable cards, new hdmi cables, the works. It still freezes when you turn on the power and you need to reboot the Tivo for it work until next time. I read maybe there is a handshake issue between the TV and the Tivo through HDMI because of the audio signal, not sure looking for help.

More info - First S3 had this problem, they sent a replacement that was refurbished and it had a broken cable card slot but this S3 worked great for 4 days until they sent me the NEW Tivo after complaining to executive services. This box had the exact same issues as the first box. For now I'm testing the refurbed unit to see if it runs into any issues. So I have to still return 2 tivos and have an extra $1600 hanging on the old credit card...Need to solve the issue soon.

Odd thing my latest box (The new one) won't work with either the composite or HDMI cables. It still wants to freeze every 3rd or 4th power on. What happens is it will work fine turn it off at night and in the morning power it up and bang - green screen, sometimes black screen, and then snow. If you try to input around to the tv, dvd and back it is still dead. If you unplug the hdmi and plug it back in, nothing. If you turn the power to the tv off and back on, nothing. Everything was fine until you turn the power on. If I turn the power on at 822 and something was recording I will get a 22 minute partial recording. It just freezes the unit when the power comes on.

SOOO, if anyone knows of software or a Geffen Detective thingy for HDMI or any ideas to try, I would be a very happy camper.

Thanks,
    Minnelli

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2 of 16
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Why not just leave it on all the time?

3. Aug 8, 2007 #3 of 16
    minnelli

minnelli New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Because the wife would prefer the TV not be on 24x7. Plus this isn't how it should function, so I would like it to work right. I would also ***** to Audi if I had to leave my car on 24x7 because it wouldn't start up because when you turn the key on, it turns the radio on, which in turn somehow shuts off the engine :) Just not right. But thanks for the suggestion, it would do the trick, so kudos to the first successful answer...

Minnelli
    PS. Going to bed, so I won't be here until the morning. Thanks in advance for all the help, it is much appreciated...

4. Aug 8, 2007 #4 of 16
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Hate to state the obvious but.... get a new TV. It's pretty obvious after multiple Tivos the problem persists which points the finger squarely at the TV. (I think you already tried component connection, but if you haven't that's an obvious thing to try instead of HDMI - unplug HDMI cable completely).

5. Aug 8, 2007 #5 of 16
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Agreed...take the HDMI cable out of the mix. There are several other recent posts regarding TiVo rebooting, showing GSOD or black screen when the OP's TV's (all Sony's I think) are turned on. There's apparently a problem with the handshake between the TV and TiVo.

Instead of HDMI use a component video (YPbPr) connection. There will be little or no difference in PQ. Use optical out if possible or RCA L/R for audio.

6. Aug 8, 2007 #6 of 16
    jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    What is the model of the TV?

7. Aug 8, 2007 #7 of 16
    minnelli

minnelli New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Model - Sony KDFE55A20
    I have tried just the component cables (Green-Blue-Red) with no HDMI and I get the same error on the "NEW" Tivo. Also when I reinstalled from scratch last night at 9PM and have had several GSOD. So I went back to the refurbed box around 11pm last night and have turned it on and off many times without any issues including this morning. So the TV appears to be fine. If I can get the refurbed box to work I will keep that one, but I would like to know why my original tivo and the new tivo are having this problem, but the broken refurbed tivo box appears to work fine, but for how long is the question.

So I'm still looking for assistance. Thanks in advance.

Minnelli

8. Aug 8, 2007 #8 of 16
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    That is a puzzle. :confused: The only other thing I can think of is that powering on the TV is causing enough EMF or EMI to interfere with TiVo's operation. How close is TiVo to your TV and can you try moving it a little further away?

9. Aug 8, 2007 #9 of 16
    minnelli

minnelli New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Probably about 6 inches below the bottom of the TV, right in the middle centered perfectly. I can actually take the NEW tivo and move it way to the left, this is where I have another set of cables setup for testing. I can give that a shot.

One other note this new tivo worked fine without any cable cards and only analog channels, but there never would have been any digital channels recording. Now the issue is no the cable cards, this has been proven by using the comcast cable cards and then verizons cable cards - both sets had problems.

Another thing I forgot to mention - I do have 2 cable cards installed.

Minnelli

10. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    There was a whole thread on this specific problem. Try searching on various terms.

11. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
  12. minnelli

minnelli New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    I will read it and see what I can find out. Thanks...

13. minnelli

minnelli New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Looks like it was an Ethernet port problem on the back of the Tivo. The other thread discussed the use of a UPS or power issues, but several folks talked about the issue being the build in Ethernet port in the Series 3 Tivo. Once I hooked up a usb to Ethernet I was set and the Green Screen of Death stopped appearing. It's been about 4 days and every new day I feel a little safer and need to cross my fingers less. Thanks to the community - now I have to deal with returning my extra Tivo boxes...

Thanks for the assistance,
    Kevin Minnelli

14. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Excellent news! :up: I remember reading another post or two that discussed having to use a USB/Ethernet connection instead of the built-in Ethernet port on the S3 to correct some problems. I'm puzzled as to why that would make any difference, but glad your mystery has been solved.

15. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Sometimes the only value I can bring here is remembering the threads I've come across :) Glad it worked for you!