Series 3 HD Video blank

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Cartho, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Cartho

Cartho New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    For some reason every once and awhile when I turn my TV on the video is blank. There is sound but no video at all on either cable card, and when I try to switch to the menu still nothing. It is like the Tivo is no longer sending the video signal to my TV. I have checked all my inputs and everythign else is fine. So far the only way I have found to fix this issue is to unplug the Tivo and plug it back in so it reboots.

Starting to get frustrated with it and am wondering if others have had this issue and if somone has figured out how to fix it without restarting it. Restarting it sucks cause then it screws up the signal from the cable cards and I loose channels and have to restart it again :(

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. artinsocal

artinsocal New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    I've had a very similar issue with my S3. Are you putting your unit into "standby mode" and then bring it out of "standby mode". And are you using componenent cable? This was happening to me while using component, but once I got my new HD Tv I switched to HDMI and the problem went away. I figure I wont use the component anytime soon so I'm not worried about it. I also called Tivo about this and their solution: Don't put the unit into Standby Mode!

3. Cartho

Cartho New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    As far as I know I am not putting it into standby...unless it is happening without my knowing it. I will have to check the instructions to see how this is done :)

I am using the HDMI output on the back of the unit not component so that is not the same.

I think I need to check deeper into the standbye thing. Like I said I never press anythign to put it into standbye. Is it a setting that does it automatically if the TV is turned off?

thanks for the help I appreciate it

4. artinsocal

artinsocal New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    After further trouble shooting I have found out that one of my cable cards is bad. #1 cc only gets the HD local channels. I have a TW tech coming out on Friday to try new cards.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Before calling a tech out, reboot your Tivo to see if that fixes the problem

Go to Settings -> Reboot.