Series 3 HD Tivo Cablecards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by LRN, Sep 19, 2011.

1. LRN

LRN New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Hello,
    I am wondering if the Series 3 HD Tivo will support dual channel cablecards? I currently have two single channel cards which work fine, but I was thinking of upgrading to a four channel setup. Will this work?
    Thanks

2. cogx

cogx Member

Sep 22, 2006
  3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    The TivoHD doesn't physically have 4 tuners, it only has 2 tuners. Cable cards are not tuners, they just decode the signal so you receive your channels.

But the TivoHD does support Multi-Stream cable cards, adding 2 of these won't get you more tuners.

4. LRN

LRN New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Thanks for the inputs, guess if I want 4 concurrent channels I need to go to the Primere Elite.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There are only a single- and multi- stream cards currently available. The HD (not the S3 with OLED) can support 2 single or 1 multi cable card. If you currently want a total of 4 tuners to record from, you can add in another TiVo, HD, or Premiere. Subscriptions will be 9.95 for the HD or $14.99 for Premiere.

Premiere Elite may be months away from release and it only supports cable, where as the previously mentioned models supports cable and OTA.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Or you can use two TivoHD boxes.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I presume you mean *two*. Using proper English helps communicate thoughts properly.

8. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I'm in 100% agreement and should have reviewed my post better. Fixed now, thanks for the heads up!

9. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    For the OP:

The Series3 TiVo, AKA model TCD648250, with the OLED display and CableCARD slots in the back, requires 2 CableCARDs. The CableCARDs can be single stream or multi stream, AKA S-Cards and M-Cards respectively. The reason for the requirement of 2 CableCARDs is due to a software interface problem that has not been fixed, and probably won't be fixed.

The TiVoHD, AKA model TCD652160, with the CableCARD slots in the front and a 160GB hard drive (HDD) can use 2 S-Cards or 1 M-Card.

The TiVoHD XL, AKA model TCD658000, with the 1TB HDD and CableCARD slots in the front, can also use 2 S-Cards or 1 M-Card.

The TiVo Premeire and TiVo Premiere XL can only use 1 M-Card, as they only have one CableCARD slot. They will not work with single stream CableCARDs (S-Cards).

All of the HD TiVos above have 2 tuners and can only record 2 shows at one time. The multi stream CableCARDs are actually capable of decoding upto 6 separate streams at the same time. It is a limitation of the TiVo hardware that it can only record 2 streams at a time.

Hope that helps clear things up,
    robomeister