Series 3 HD Sound going in and out

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rarceneaux, Apr 19, 2011.

1. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I have a Series 3 HD using just cable no cable cards and the problem I have is at times the sound will go out for a second maybe 5 or 6 times a minute. It doesn't always happen and it can be any channel. I have good signal and I talked to TIVO and they had no answer but to swap it out for a another one at a cost of $150. I found one on Ebay brand new for $80.00 and thought this would fix it because my Premier and Series 2 work great no problems. I installed it and guess what same thing with then new one. Has anyone had this problem please help?

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Are you watching only analog channels or are you also watching clear-QAM HD channels? Does it happen on both types?

First thing I would check is the Audio Output settings on the TiVo (under Settings) and be sure you have selected Dolby Digital > PCM.

3. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Watching just analog channels and I tried the audio on both settings and no difference.

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Next I would try connecting the cable directly to the TV (by passing TiVo) and see if it does the same thing.

5. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Only does it if going through the Tivo

6. CybrFyre

CybrFyre Member

Mar 25, 2008
    I experienced this problem on my TivoHD on one particular analog channel. Was really annoying, and I was afraid there was either a HD failure going on or some other hardware failure going on. Additional symptoms would be some sort of weird corruption in the recording itself which would mess up the playback time indicator and FF/Rewind/jump functions in that particular recording.

I finally found a posting either someplace on this forum or elsewhere on the net from other folk experiencing the same problem. IIRC, the issue was related to the signal strength of the particular analog channel (too high, I think). Those folk were able to resolve their issues by either using additional hw to adjust the signal strength or using a cablecard which would then receive the digital version instead of the analog version of the channel (if avail). For me, the cablecard also fixed the issue as I now get the digital version of the channel.

And, when the cable co was out here for a different reason, they did measure my signal strength being a bit on the high end (the amplifier was amping up the signal too much).

7. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Still having a problem with sound going in and out on my HD at times but the picture is fine. Had a cable card put in last month and it still does it but my Series 2 and Premiere both work fine. Any tips would be great.

8. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    The signal output from the TiVo to the television is how? Coax (along with video)? Through a stereo receiver via toslink/coax?

9. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Just coax. It is strange not the same channel it can be any channel and at times it may do it for 10 minutes and then stop for a day but it always comes back.

10. rarceneaux

rarceneaux Member

Feb 5, 2009
    This is a strange one I ran a splitter from the bedroom that has a Premier and the HD sounds still goes in and out at times but the Premier is fine.