Series 3 HD not responding to remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jayteee, Mar 14, 2021.

1. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

For the last two nights, my Series 3 HD has been acting strange in that last night it stopped responding to my remote control. Yes, the batteries are good, the switch was in the correct position, and the remote has been cleaned internally several times in it's lifetime and is working perfectly (it was able to control the tv). Rebooting the Tivo resolved the problem last night, but the same thing happened again tonight. Rebooting the Tivo fixed it again, but for how long? No other IR in the room, etc. Nothing has changed recently. I just finished cleaning the remote (internally) again, but I know it can't be the remote if rebooting the Tivo fixes the issue. Right now the unit is working perfectly as if nothing ever happened.

My Series 3 HD has a 1 TB WD Black Edition HD that has been working perfecly even after all these years. I have replaced the power supply once in the past. I'm guessing that some other component *may* need to be replaced at this point - likely related to the IR remote receiver. Soldering is not a problem for me.

Does anyone know if this is a regular thing on Series 3 HD units after awhile?

I did read through some other decades old threads on this topic, but they don't seem applicable.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Even if you replaced the entire power supply, THAT power supply may also have failing capacitors and may be just as aged as your original. (They are not making any new Series 3 power supplies.) Its better to replace all the capacitors, even ones that do not show any bulges/leaks. The hard drive you are using also can be a factor as it may be using just about the limit of the PS that is supplying it.

3. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Does this seem like a power supply issue?

The power supply was replaced in 2016 with a used one that had new caps installed. At the time, my Tivo was completely dead.
    I can't imagine that the HD would be an issue at this point. It's been in my S3HD since before it was turned on for the first time. I literally replaced the original 200 GB drive before even turning the unit on many, many years ago.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, its possible the capacitors are causing these issues, such as lower power affects the entire unit, not just the hard drive.

5. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009

Advertisements

Regarding the pushing the PS thought... If I remember correctly, the PS is capable of somewhere around 65W... The whole S3HD with the 1TB HD does not even use 25. I know because it's sitting on a UPS with wattage meter. As far as the caps going bad again, I have my doubts, but I'm willing to check into that. I'll have to take this thing apart and check for bulges/leaks. You would think that there would be some other tell-tale sign such as crashes or other failures.

6. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009
    You're not going to believe this, but it's not responding to the remote again. Not even an hour after the last reboot. ugh.

Rebooted again... working again, but now responding slugglishly to remote (whereas it was working completely normally after the previous reboot)... yet it does reboot and does not go into a loop or seem to have what could be considered "normal power issues"... gotta get this thing apart and see what I can see.

7. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    One of mine behaved same way for awhile till PS completely went out, has been fine since caps replaced (2 years ago).

8. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009
    So when your PS was dying, remote receiver functionality was affected?

That gives me a little more confidence that it may be the PS again... But it really shouldn't be... the caps on the replacement PS were replaced. They should be good for way more than five years.

9. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Exactly as you described including the escalation. Next it will start spontaneously rebooting at month intervals then weekly then daily.

10. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info. Gotta take this thing apart then. Wish I could locate the previous PS I had in there so I could just recap it and swap it in. Can't find it.

11. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Found it! I knew I kept it! AC Bel ST7002-BW0G

10 caps to order. Same as this post:

Tivo Series 3 - Bad capacitors in power supply

Will order/install the caps on this PS and let you guys know if this solved the issue with the remote.

Thank you, ThAbtO and cannonz.

12. Larsenv

Larsenv Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    How do you know what capacitors to replace? Do you have to order them or something?

We have a TiVo HD (TCD652160) that seems to get stuck with no video signal (and randomly reboots while using it). It should be no problem soldering the capacitors, my dad can do it, just wondering how it's done.

The hard drive is not a problem because I got a brand new WD 320GB drive and restored your WinMFS image onto it. I bought 2 of them and I have one in my Premiere in my dorm that works flawlessly.

I'm in college right now, so I'm not home to repair the unit. I do know that it isn't responding because my remote computer back at home can't ping it.

It's not even working after a power outage happened because of a winter storm. The unit's sitting in our home theater connected to the wall, not connected to the surge protector we have.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You replace ALL of the capacitors because Tivo used low quality capacitors at the time. After that, it should be good for another decade+.

14. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Sticky at top. Series 3 Tivo HD Capacitor List | TiVoCommunity Forum

15. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009
    I don't know what's going on with DigiKey, but I placed my caps order early Monday morning. It's now early Friday (AM), and they still haven't shipped. All caps I ordered are in stock.

Also, my TiVo has gone into remission. I've had zero problems with the remote since Monday and the TiVo has been acting *completely normal* all week. Since I already ordered the caps, and who knows what the issue really is/was here, at least I'll eventually have them once DigiKey gets the order shipped.

Wonder if I should have gone with Mouser or Amazon.

16. Larsenv

Larsenv Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    We opened up the TiVo HD and found 3 bulging capacitors. Just ordered replacements from DigiKey.

A77E6091-2CB2-4170-85B3-D6B1D97D3709.jpeg 7651F1EF-92A4-400E-9B19-9BDA799F96A0.jpeg 6DD034A6-30CB-4825-BA07-53DF78A794F3.jpeg

By the way, the hard drive we replaced in the TiVos is a WD Caviar Blue 320GB, which worked on the HD and the Premiere.

It says on their site that it takes 1-5 days to ship because of COVID. Tell us when yours ships, maybe it will on Monday?

17. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Trust the TCF hive mind :)
    With S3 family units the question is always "have you checked the capacitors?" no matter if you've done them before.

HerronScott likes this.
  18. jayteee

jayteee Member

Mar 29, 2009
    I hope you ordered the correct caps for your PS. TiVo used two different PS units in the S3. My PS is the ACBel. According to your photos, your PS is the 3Y. You had to order the correct caps for the 3Y. And I hope you ordered replacements for ALL the caps on your PS, not just the bulging ones. Bad caps can have bulges and/or leaks or no external sign of trouble at all.

Digikey finally shipped my order on Friday. That's too long a delay IMO, covid or not.

19. Larsenv

Larsenv Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    Yes, I ordered the 3Y capacitors from DigiKey.

We only ordered the ones that were bulging... My dad does not want to go through replacing all of the capacitors because it's a lot of work. He told me not to order the others. (he has a master's in Electrical Engineering btw)

We'll see how the new capacitors work out. I guess if the TiVo still causes problems, we can order the rest of the capacitors and replace them.

20. Larsenv

Larsenv Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Texas
    @ThAbtO Please help me with our TCD652160.
    • We ordered new capacitors and replaced them (despite what was suggested here, only the ones that were bulging, as seen in the pictures above).
    • However, our problem with the TiVo is still occurring. After a few hours after it boots up, it stops responding to remote commands, and freezes. TiVo menu turned pink and the animation is frozen.
    • Opening the URL over the network that usually displays the "Congratulations!" webpage will stop displaying once the problem has kicked in.
    • Did a Kickstart command to SMART test the hard drive. It passed. Drive is a WD Caviar Blue 320GB, which works fine on a Premiere.
    • I don't think it's necessary, but the hdparm and wdidle3 commands were never set on the hard drive. (Disabling power saving and IntelliPark)
    Do we have to *sigh* order the other capacitors and replace them too? It's a 3Y Power supply. It took long enough to get them ordered, and long enough to solder them in.

Thanks.

Attached Files: