Series 3 Hard Drive to TivoHD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Brighton Line, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Brighton Line

Brighton Line Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY

Advertisements

I have a Series 3 with a 1TB internal hard drive that I used WinMFS to create.
    The series 3 may have a hardware issue so if I purchase a TivoHD can I just move the TB Drive over to the the TivoHD without doing anything?

Or do I have to follow the posted directions in Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ? Can I save the recording even though it is two different models?

TIA

2. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    If you buy a THD then you can use Winmfs to backup the image from it and then restore the backed up image to the S3 1TB drive and expand and supersize it.

I don't think you can just put the 1TB S3 drive in it but I could be wrong. Even if you can I'm pretty sure you will need to do a Clear and Delete Everything to marry the drive to the unit. That would kill the recordings anyway.

To copy everything over you would need both drives hooked up at the same time using Winmfs. So that's a no go. I would look into transfering what you want to a PC and then back if its not copy protected.

Robb

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I don't believe a Series 3 image will work in a TiVo HD any way you try it (putting it directly in, copying it and doing a clear and delete, etc). You can use the drive, but you need a TiVo HD image to put on it. InstantCake is probably the cheapest way to do it.

4. Robbdoe1

Robbdoe1 Tivo Obsessed

Dec 29, 2008
    Melbourne, FL
    Rereading my post, let me clarify. If the OP buys a THD then he has an image. Put it on the TB drive and then back in the THD. No IC needed.

Sorry for my confused post.

Robb

5. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005

Advertisements

There are two options for the OP. 1) Get a TivoHD and then use WinMFS to copy over the TivoHD's drive onto the 1TB drive, or 2) Buy another S3, and just move the 1TB drive to it, which will require performing a "Clear and Delete Everything" on the Tivo afterwards. Either way, there is no way to keep your recordings on the drive.

The only way you might be able to keep the recordings is if they are not copy-protected. In that case you can either transfer them to a PC and then over to the new Tivo, or else have both Tivos active on your account for a short period of time so you can MRV recordings between them.