1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Series 3 Gray screen problem 652160

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Jeff Obranovich, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Jeff Obranovich

Jeff Obranovich New Member

Dec 2, 2018
    Cleveland, TN
    New to the the forum... I thought I had my original problem fixed. But now I have a gray screen. Help!

Summary:
    Lifetime Tivo Series 3 652160
    Had a failed drive
    Replaced drive with new 1TB using MFS Live tools 1.4
    Tivo ran with no problems for about 20 hours
    Turned on TV this morining and I had a gray screen

Detailed description:
    When I bought my Lifetime Series 3 - 652160, I kept the original drive and upgraded to a larger drive. Luckily, I still have the original drive. My new drive went out after about 9 years. The Tivo kept rebooting. After reading the forums it turns out the drive may be bad. Sure enough there were some bad sectors on the disk. So, I took my original drive put it back in the Tivo booted it up, it did some updating and ran with no problem. So I removed the original, and copied it over to a new 1TB drive using MFS tools 1.4. The copy went without problem I put the new drive in the Tivo it booted fine and ran for about 20 hours. I turned on the TV this morning and I have a gray screen. I unplugged the Tivo and plugged it back in its stuck at the Welcome screen powering up.

I suspect the power supply is bad too. Any thoughts? I have a new power supply from a PC can I dismantle it from the PC case and splice it into the wiring for the TIVO motherboard.

I'm trying not to spend anymore money on the Tivo. The HDMI port went out about 3 months ago so I'm using the component out for video.

Thanks in advance for reading this long post and your help!

2. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
  3. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    If you are skilled enough to "patch in" a power supply for a pc...
    Just replace the capacitors, it's not that hard if you are proficient at soldering.

You can probably find a tv or electronics shop in your town to do the repair too.
    Google tv repair with your zip code.

And please include your location in the profile.

4. Jeff Obranovich

Dec 2, 2018
    Cleveland, TN
    Anyone out there skilled and willing to repair the caps. in my power supply cheaper than weakness which looks to be around $100 after exchange?

5. Jeff Obranovich

Dec 2, 2018
    Cleveland, TN
    UPDATE:
    I have replaced the power supply with a refurbished unit from WeaKnees. So far so good! Turns out it may have been my power supply ultimately, which may have also took out the HDD from all the power losses\reboots.

worachj and HerronScott like this.