series 3 "generally available in retail stores soon"

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by MichaelK, Jul 20, 2006.

1. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

Advertisements

sorry if theis is a repeat but i didn't see it anywhere in the HD or coffehouse forums.

Saw this originally at dbs forums

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060719-7304.html

aparrently Tivo is mailing letters to the cable companies giving them a heads up series 3 is on the way.

also they met with the fcc to see if they could ensure switched video wouldn't kill off cablecard devices like the series3. (there's even what appears to be forum PM from chris in austin to tivo pony on the issue. )

FCC filing is here:
    http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retrieve.cgi?native_or_pdf=pdf&id_document=6518400258

the filing has the letter to the cabel co's saying the series 3 is in beta accros the country currently and is going to be "generally available in retail stores soon"

2. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
  3. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    sorry for the extra post...

4. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003
    Northern...
    Hey ... it's good stuff. And ... you actually posted the link to the FCC filing (which is what people should read, instead of reading others' interpretations of it) so ... :up:

5. pdawg17

pdawg17 Here's Julia!!

Mar 1, 2003

Advertisements

If it is $600 I'll probably be waiting awhile if I go that route at all...cable by itself costs ~$30 more/month than D* in my area...

6. HDTivoUser

HDTivoUser Early Adopter

May 2, 2005
    Virginia
    In addition to that.....I don't see cable offering up NFL Sunday Ticket anytime soon. Being a KC fan in VA....that's pretty important to me.

7. DTSDude

DTSDude New Member

May 24, 2006
    That would be because a certain satalite provider has an exclusive contract for Sunday Ticket. Someday it may be available via cable, but no time soon.

8. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    I love TIVO and I'm a potential S3 buyer but a have a lot of concerns about cablecards. I replaced my CC twice and tried them on a Panasonic plasma and a Mitsubishi 73927. From time to time I get picture and sound artifacts and sometimes error msgs (61-53). I had the tech guys here already 4 times and they all say the same" cablecard is not as reliable as the cableboxes". With my Mitsu I can also record on it's internal HDD but the recordings show sound dropouts and with 4 HD channels I have an unwatchable picture with horizontal tiles and artifacts. Recordings from the OTA antenna produce a perfect picture. We can always blame the TV but the problems happen with 2 different sets and 2 different brands.

Aren't you guys concerned about this cablecard technology? Would the S3 come up with a better CC reader?

9. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    $600 was towards the low-end of the range I've heard about. I was figuring it would end up closer to $800-$900. Remember it is supposed to be "very" expensive -- a true "high-end" unit, unlike the more affordable Series 2 TiVos.

10. PAP

PAP Member

Oct 6, 1999
    Ohio
    At $600 I'm in for 2 baby!

11. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    My brother, who is a tech for TW said that if you have a cable card, you cant order any PPVs or anything else that requires 2 way communication because the cable card is only 1 way.

That kind of sucks but who knows, he could be wrong.

12. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Unfortunately, he is right. I think that a version 2 CC will be 2-way.

13. brewdawg

brewdawg New Member

Mar 15, 2006
    I was just transferring my Comcast service and they told me that 2 cable cards were going to cost me about $15 for both. I am hoping that the switch to Time Warner will make it cheaper.

14. Frazld

Frazld New Member

Feb 1, 2003
    Frisco,TX
  15. BillyT2002

BillyT2002 Crush!Kill!Destroy!

Oct 19, 2002
    Waterville, ME
    Is there any way to get a major home entertainment publisher to take up the SDV issue with the S3 publically and hopefully help to bring enough public attention to the issue to force the cable companies, TIVO and the FCC to come to a compromise well-suited to the consumer?

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    translated as "we dont want you to use these damn things becasue we can't charge more then $2 for them to keep the FCC off our butts but we can get you for $5 to $15 bucks for a set top box. Besides that you wont order our PPV with it and might sign up for netflix. And most importanlyt you wont subscribe to our interactive services like virtual dating"

There's nothign inherently wrong with cablecard except cable companies tend to suck.

17. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

edit: I believe:

that's a flat out lie.

Becasue:

The FCC basically told the cable companies to keep them below $2 each or face regulation.

I believe in many markets they are FREE (I thought it was actually comcast doing that in most markets but couuld be wrong)

If you want the facts log into their website and look at the rate sheet for your area- I'm fairly sure they are less than $7.50 a month.

18. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

the lie was annoying me soo much i had to lolok it up myself.

plugged in my sister's address in monmouth county NJ.

http://www.comcast.com/Support/Corp1/FAQ/FaqDetail_2651.html

if the link doesn't work:

in other words they are free to comcast (at least in monmouth county NJ- but i believe comcast told the FCC in the last report on cablecard deployment that they were free everywhere.

19. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    I had not problems getting the CC . My concern is the fact that ,after a month trying with 2 different TVs and after 4 tech visits and 2 cards replaced, the damn thing doesn't work without glitches that are not present with the cableboxes (Explorer 8300). Since the CC are the heart of the S3, I hope that TIVO has already figured all the potential problems. The CC I'm using is the standard SA . Based on hundreds of postsat Avsforum complaining about CC problems I don't think I'm the only one worried.

20. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

honestly I dont know, but the impression i get from reading the threads at avs is the cable companies are incompetent and dont know how to use them that there is nothing wrong with the technology. I only honestly know one person with cablecard but the mom and pop cable company here dealt with it rather simply. My friend called for an install they asked TV model number. They told him to call panasonic that the plasma he bought needed updated firmware for their brand CC. Panasonic overnighted him the sd card with the firmware and the cable guy came out the next day and heloed him load the firmware update for his TV and slapped in the CC. It worked fine and has for months. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's more of the norm if you have a good company.

Good luck