series 3 freezing

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Austin Bike, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003

Advertisements

I have a Tivo HD that is occasionally freezing up. Typically my wife will come home from work and it is frozen.

She can rewind and get the last 30 minutes of video before it freezes, but if she changes the channel she gets nothing but black screens from cable. If she changes to an antenna channel, she can see everything fine.

If she reboots, she gets all the cable channels back again.

Anyone seen this? it only happens on cable, not antenna.

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
  3. KEYSGATE

KEYSGATE New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    I have a similar problem with OTA analog stations. They work fine for awhile and then freeze. When changing to another analog channel I will get a black screen and searching for signal. All digital channels are fine. This would not bother me except the one analog channel I do want for hockey, does not broadcast in digital so again re-boot and then all fine. You did not state, but I am betting the cable channels you are loosing are the analog ones? From searching in here for an answer I am coming to the conclusion that the analog tuners are weak in the series 3 and the digital far superior. Someone suggested that they did a re-setup and the problem went away. Did this a few hours ago and still testing but so far its OK.Maybe someone else may have a fix for this or a better conclusion!

4. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    No cable cards and this only happens with cable, not antenna.

5. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

Likely a hard drive then.

6. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Does anybody know what the warranty is on the hard drive? Do I need to send the whole unit back or can they just send me a drive?

Is there a drive utility program that I can use to check the drive from the tivo or do I need to pull it and pop it in a computer?

I have plenty of HD's hanging around the house right now.

7. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    There's no separate HDD warranty. After 30 days TiVo has a 1 year parts warranty. They will replace a defective unit for $49. Generally after one year they will replace it for $149.

You can try running TiVo's built-in hard drive diagnostic test called Kickstart 54.

Opening TiVo voids the warranty (if you tell them). WD's Lifeguard is a reasonably good disk utility.

If you decide to replace/upgrade the drive a visit to the Official eSATA Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ sticky thread is in order. It has everything you need to know about upgrading your TiVo including recommended hard drives and Section V covers internal upgrades. The process is very simple.