Series 3 Crypto Chip Swap

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mob7988, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Apr 9, 2021 #1 of 14
    mob7988

mob7988 New Member

Nov 12, 2007

Advertisements

Does anyone know where the crypto chip is located on the series 3? My series 3 has finally died and has lifetime subscription on it. I just need to know where the chip is located so I can start the soldering removal and swap process.

Thanks

2. Apr 9, 2021 #2 of 14
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What failed on this Series 3? Most likely, its the power supply capacitors, you need them replaced before doing any other diagnostic. Then its the hard drive, replacing it would require a model matching image to be placed on the drive.

If you move that chip, then the shows on the transplanted unit would not play, can't record, you would have to reset everything by Clear & Delete Everything.

3. Apr 9, 2021 #3 of 14
    mob7988

mob7988 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I already did a hard drive swap and power supply from a different (parts only) device. Everything was working fine and then the system crashed. I did a hard reset (which was a big mistake) because it now keeps failing with the internet and phone connection to finish the setup. I ended up swapping the parts back from my lifetime membership device to the "parts only" device and can only watch live tv. No recording, programming, or updating channel menu. I'm thinking if I can just find where the crypto chip is on the "lifetime membership" device, I can do the swap with soldering.

so everyting is already reset and deleted from both devices. Just ready to start fresh after the chip swap.

4. Apr 9, 2021 #4 of 14
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Forget the chip swap.

You need to use a newer hard drive, with the proper image. The power supply may be just as old and the capacitors can be failing, just looking for bulging or leaking ones will not tell its failed.

You also need to make sure its on the current software, v11.0.n.K1 and updated because the older software will not work, no providers, before running Guided Setup.

"Lifetime membership" is not a thing with Tivo. Its Lifetime Tivo Service. Which is associated to your Tivo Service Number.

5. mob7988

mob7988 New Member

Nov 12, 2007

Advertisements

Oh.. this is getting a bit over my head now. I do have experience with micro soldering (I work on cellphone mother boards). I figured that would be the easiest fix as long as I can locate the correct chip to remove. I'm clueless with TIVO "proper image", programming, & software. And thanks for the the lifetime membership correction...it's been awhile;). I have lifetime tivo service on 2 devices, one from 2003 (analog) and the other is the series 3 from 2009. I cut the cable a long time ago so I was only using the tivo lifetime service for antenna local news and network shows.

Will it be worth it to pursue this project? and if so, where can I find all the steps ie: how to update current software, what model hard drive to get and what are proper images?
    Thanks

6. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Recommended drives is the WD Red Plus, WD10EFRX or WD20EFRX max a Series 3 can use.
    The version noted earlier (v11.n.k1) was for the Series 3. Series 2 is only about v9.3.2.

If you need an image, you need to specify the exact model. See the back label for number starting with TCD, if it still works, look in System Information, The first 3 of the Tivo service number, the last 3 of the software version.

7. mob7988

mob7988 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I will start searching prices for the recommended drives. The device with the Lifetime Service works but is stuck on the startup step when trying to make a connection. Both dial up & wifi are not working. Is the exact model number available from my tivo.com account?

8. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    tivo.com account will show the Tivo service number. Only the first 3 are needed. DO NOT post your full tivo service number.

Tivo has removed dial-up access a few years ago. Wifi only works when you have the Tivo wireless G adapter. You can still connect by ethernet. But, the software may be too old to update itself.

9. mob7988

mob7988 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I do have a Tivo wireless G adaptor that I was using on my Series 2 (analog) to receive programs from the series 3.

On the series 3, will I still need to update the drives, software, images etc.. even if I'm not able get past the setup screen because dial up and ethernet are not working? Is there an easier way to just repair the ethernet connection on the board itself?

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need an internet/network connection to get software updates, guide data, to transfer shows between other Tivo or PCs, etc.

11. mob7988

mob7988 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    What fix do you recommend if the internet/network connection is not working?
    Thank you

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need to determine if the network is still working, reboot everything including modem, router.
    With Tivo, just changing the network connection alone will not fix it without the proper network settings, like switching from wired to wireless, needs to be done in the settings menu. Its also where you set what network to connect to.

13. mob7988

mob7988 New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    So my Tivo series 3 is now bricked because I can't get passed the setup guide due to no network connection?

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can't go back up, only forward in Guided Setup.

You can still go to network settings to see if anything need fixing.