Series 3: Can you upgrade the drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jauburn, Sep 13, 2006.

1. jauburn

jauburn Member

May 18, 2006

Advertisements

Can you upgrade the hard drive on a series 3? That would be the only way I'd get it.

2. filburt1

filburt1 Custom User Title:

Apr 23, 2005
    IIRC, you can add external drives via eSATA.

3. DPF

DPF So tired.....

Mar 20, 2003
    Naper-thrill...
    I don't think anyone knows for absolute certain yet. Allegedly, they're SATA drives, but possibly with special WD connectors. I haven't seen any definitive answers on that. There are pics out there of internals so you should be able to find out with some looking.

But, it may not matter as there is an eSATA connector on the back for adding external storage. It's not activated with the initial release, but is supposed to be soon. I don't know if that is casued by the CableLabs stuff (possible as its a way to get things off the machine) or not, as with the disabled MRV and TTG with the initial software release.

-DPF

4. jauburn

jauburn Member

May 18, 2006
    NOT ACTIVATED? What the hell? Why would I plunk down $800 bucks for this dumb box if it doesn't give me enough space to hold a decent amount of HD?

5. jauburn

jauburn Member

May 18, 2006

Advertisements

IIRC? What's that?

6. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    If I Remember Correctly

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It has nothing to do with CableLabs. There are cable company DVRs out there that have this same feature. My guess is that they couldn't get the code working in time for release so they pushed it back. There is a lot of work in dealing with external storage. You have to be able to fail gracefully, without user interaction, and recover should the drive be reattached. I expect to see it active after the next release (i.e. the one with KidZone, Recently Deleted, etc...) which should be out in the next couple of months.

Dan

8. jauburn

jauburn Member

May 18, 2006
    That figures. That's why I never buy 1.0 products.

9. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    What the hell ? Being able to record 32 hours of HD quality isn't enough for you ? A friend at work said that's about 2X larger than the COMCAST HD DVR.

I personally won't be plunking down $800 even if it held 400 hours of HD quality, but I wouldn't call it a dumb box.

10. jauburn

jauburn Member

May 18, 2006
    Heck no. How many football games is 32 hours? Not many, right - a weekend? Plus other stuff I want to record? Forget it. That kind of capacity stinks. Double it, and you're getting somewhere.

Plus, of course, you want a way to save a whole season's worth of games on your computer or external device. You can do that, right?

Why do these DVR box makers give us great technology that's crippled by inadequate storage? It's a joke and a crime. In the days of the VCR, you could swap tapes. Now what? Often you can''t even upgrade the drive! Progress my butt!

11. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    do the usual boot disks and mfstools and the like have the ability to work with SATA?

I orderd a series 3 should be here friday.

Might go buy a 500gig SATA drive to try and replace the stock one. But I wont bother if the usual tools dont have the drivers for sata...

12. jauburn

jauburn Member

May 18, 2006

I doubt that they do.

13. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...