Series 3 cable card error... is this typical?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mishafp, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006

Advertisements

So I have had cable card installed on my Series 3 previously, and what would happen is that they would have to hit the card a few times, and then it work just fine on one of them. On the other card, we got some sort of error message (403 I believe), tried a couple of different cards and it ended up working. I recently moved and the cablecard install yesturday was a disaster. Basically, we put each card in and it said "card detected", but when the dispatcher hit the card and said she got a connection, but there was nothing on our end. It didn't give an error message and it picked up no channels. The status stayed at "card detected." At least with an error message, I know the card is defective. Now, I don't know what is going on.

One theory I had was that the signal is bad (since we have been having internet issues), but the dispatcher said that while the signal is low in our complex (and they are sending someone to fix that), that couldn't be the problem because she was reading on her end that the card had activated. I'm having another tech come out today with a bunch of cards, but I'm worried that it is a problem with my Serie 3 Tivo. Does anyone have any thoughts? (company is Comcast).

2. mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006
    The cards they brought are "M-cards". Does that means they won't work with the Series 3 at all?

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    M-cards work fine in the Series3, but you'll need two of them (until a software update, which hasn't come out yet.)

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I was under the impression that just a single MSC was required in Slot #1... No?

5. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN

Advertisements

That will work in the TivoHD, but as mentioned, the Series 3 still lacks a software upgrade to enable m-card support.

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    THD - yes
    S3 - acts like s-card and requires two for dual tuners.

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Get the signal problem fixed first. Take the CSR's comment with a large grain of salt.

8. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Don't waste that grain of salt. Just ignore the comments.