Series 3 Blues

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by frothymargarita, Jan 19, 2009.

1. frothymargarita

frothymargarita New Member

Jan 19, 2009

Advertisements

I am a Tivo newbie, but I can find my way around a computer pretty well. Setting up my Series 3 with Tivo Support and Time Warner NY has been 3 days of h---. In addition to the cable cards (I ordered 2 M cards on the day I ordered the Series 3) I find that I need a Tuning adapter (which may or may not be available) for this SDV issue. My past experience with TW Techs does not leave me hopeful that setting this up will go smoothly.

My question is should I exchange my Series 3 for a dual tuner Series 2? I do not have an HD tv and do not plan to buy one in the near future. I want all the stations that I receive through my digital time warner box (not dvr I won't pay them for that). One should think that this stuff should work fairly easily by now, but after days on the internet and reading these forums who would have guessed so many problems remain!:( Looking forward to seeing your suggestions.

2. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    First Question. What Time Warner Cable (TWC) area are you in?

The reason I ask this. Is that some areas of TWC will be discontinuing all forms of ANALOG cable service by the end of 2010. When this happens, A TiVo Series 2 Dual Tuner DVR won't be able to use TWC unless you get their Box, & in that case makes having a TiVo a moot point anyways.

In addition. A Series 2 Dual Tuner TiVo won't be able to use OTA after February 17th, 2009 either. A TiVo HD with its Digital OTA tuner will be able to continue OTA service after 2-17-09. TiVo HD TiVo's will work with a NON-HDTV without any problem.

San Antonio/Austin Texas have been shipping Tuning adapters & MOST people have not had any issue with getting them to work with their TiVo HD's. Yes a few have had problems. But MOST haven't. Keep in mind that their is always SOMEONE who has problems with something that is man made. NOTHING is ever 100% problem free for 100% of its users.

While MOST Cable installers are clueless to TiVo's, Cable Cards & Tuning adapters. There are a few RARE cable techs that do know what they are doing. Give TWC a chance & see how it goes.

I have TWC and I am in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. We DON'T have SDV & do not need the Tuning adapter. I have 3 TiVo's. An S3, HD, & HDXL. I also have 3 TV's that also use a cable card. I have a total of 7 Cable cards. All are "M" cards. I didn't have any issues on getting them to work first time around. I did have a problem getting them repaired again, which needed a truck roll when cable service was down for 3 days. (Due to new road contruction cutting the Fiber cable for our area. 2000 houses were without service for 3 days)

As far as the Tuning adapter goes, I don't have direct experiance with it as Dallas-Fort Worth isn't using SDV.

One other point.... The TiVo HD doesn't require the use of cable cards to get cable channels in the clear QAM. In our area though thats only the first 99 analog channels and the next 50 channels from 100 to 150. All the others are "Encrypted". You area might be different. Keep in mind though, ESPN, SCI-Fi, HBO etc... are channels that won't ever be in the clear QAM area.

TGC

3. frothymargarita

frothymargarita New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    TGC--
    Thanks for your quick reply.

I have Time Warner Cable New York City.

Glad to hear that the HD will work with non-HD tv sets. However, I am curious. Will the HD broadcasts be recorded in HD even if you have a non-HD set? I would be happy to have the HD broadcasts in SD in order to have as much recording space as possible. I generally watch news programs and a little CSI and Law and Order not much else. Is there some switch that you can set to only record in SD like you could on the old VCRs?

When I set up the Series 3 I could get stations like NBC local, ABC etc. these must be the OTA channels. I could not get CNN - major bust with the inauguration tomorrow. Even though CNN is channel 10 here and clearly within the 0-99 range, I suspect this must have to do with the SDV issue.

OK I will give the TW Tech a chance - fingers crossed.

Would anyone else like to weigh in on the TWC SDV issue?

F

4. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    On the TivoHD / Series3, all digital channels are recorded as is, bit for bit identical to the original.

Keep in mind the HD channels do not replace the SD channels. Time Warner might have CNN SD on channel 10 and CNN HD on channel 200. Series recordings are channel specific; if you setup to record from NBC SD on channel 4, it won't record from NBC HD on channel 2004.

Generally, a CableCard must be installed before you will see the HD channels in your lineup, which are almost always above channel 100. High-definition channels, aside from locals, are are almost always encrypted so a CableCard is required.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

You can set the tivo to the TV type of 4:3, 4:3 smart or 16:9. I guess you should set to 4:3 only and any HD programs will be shown with bars on sides/top and bottom.

6. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    BTW, you want to buy an HDTV. :D

7. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    The kind of TV you hook up to your TiVo HD has no effect on how or what it records. If the show/movie is broadcast in HD, it will record it in HD. The TiVo will record in format that is being broadcast on the channel at the time you record it. Your TiVo will just DOWNCONVERT any HD recording to SD for your SD TV. Alot of NEWS stations as well as broadcasts are switching to full HD capability & making use of the "Widescreen" 16:9 format. Unless your really cramped for Hard drive space. I would recomend just recording in HD and watching it. Some channels on TWC are broadcast on 2 channels. A HD one and a SD one. Same with Locals. Example... In DFW... HBO HD is 815, HBO-SD is 501. Same show being broadcast just 815 is HD, and 501 isn't. We get CNN & Fox news here in HD as well.

Sounds like it might have to do with SDV (Switched Digital Video). Like I said SDV is not in the DFW area so I don't have any actual experiance with it.

TGC

8. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Good point. In DFW our locals SD & HD are in clear QAM. (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, and the spanish HD channels) The other NON-Local HD channels are all encrypted and require the cable card or an STB.

TGC