SERIES 3 & Beyond NEED The Following Features .....

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by crmlht, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 93
    crmlht

crmlht New Member

Aug 25, 2006

Advertisements

1080p

2 Two-way Digital Cable Card (4 Tuners) (record From Same Time)

90 Minute Quad Live Buffer

Disk Space Meter Expressed In Time Left

Auto Tuning

Guru Guide

Kids Zone

PIP In Guide so we can watch TV as do other dvr things

Season Pass For A Show On Any Channel We Get

512 - 1 Gig Of System Ram + Faster Processor

Multi Room Viewing

Recently Deleted Folder

Tivo 2 Go

Lifetime Service

Bookmarks In Shows

Advance Choice Conflict Resoluiton

Messages Telling Us What New Software Was For

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 93
    vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    You left out the pot of gold! Even without a pot of gold included, it would take a pot of gold to buy such a device and few would be sold.

This is not a Windows general purpose computer. You have no business specifying memory and processor speed. You can only say what performance you want.

Why do you need 1080p when there is no source material since you left out the HD DVD player. If you have a 1080p display, it will likely upvert for you.

Not sure what auto-tuning means.

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 93
    TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    A lot of that stuff will be added shortly, since it is i the current software that series 1 and series 2 units run, which is newer than what series 3's run. Wanting 1080P is silly. You in a hurry to record all those 1080P channels? Oh wait, there aren't any.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 93
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    1080p is unnecessary for a DVR because 1080p is not supported by the ATSC or CableCARD/QAM standards.

The 2 way CableCARD standard is not complete yet, so this is not even possible

Quad tuners is possible, but impractical and unnecessary for most people. If you really need 4 tuners then just get two TiVos. (that's why there is a switch on the remote control)

I think the buffer should be user setable, because personally I'd rather turn it off or way down so that I could have a little more space for recording since I never actually watch live TV.

What's "Auto Tuning"?

Guru Guides, KidZone and Recently Deleted are all coming in a software update later this year.

My Moxi has a "PIP in the guide" feature and I hate it! If they do enable something like this they better give me the option to turn it off.

The ability to set a "Season Pass for a show on any channel we get" is alreasy available. it's called an Auto recording Title Wish List. You should try it, they work really well.

Multi-Room Viewing and TiVoToGo have to be approved by CableLabs before TiVo can turn them on for S3 units. Until then there is nothing they can do.

What sort of bookmark functionality are you looking for?

What exactly is "advance choice conflict resolution"? TiVo already offers a Season pass manager so you can prioritize your recordings by what's most important, what else do you need?

Most TiVo updates do include a message telling you what the software did. The only time they don't is when they are small maintenance releases which only effect behind the scenes stuff.

Dan

5. Oct 3, 2006 #5 of 93
    Necro

Necro New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Euharlee, Ga

Advertisements

My only request: In the guide (regular or grid style) change the color of shows that are scheduled to record. This helps me quickly confirm what is going on without tooling through the menu. I know there is an icon by the show while it's recording, but that doesn't really help since I can see it right on the front of the TiVo.

Everything else seems normal.

OH, and they do need to work on some of the IR codes. I have the remote setup for my Hitachi HDTV inputs. The input button works, and I can scroll up and down using the buttons... But when I try to pick one using enter, it doesn't work. There is no way to change the input using the input button because the remote doesn't map an enter button. Also, I can't get rid of the input menu from the TV using the clear button.

6. Oct 3, 2006 #6 of 93
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Thats not true because some shows have too much of a generic name to use a ARWL for. Plus, it should be an easy option in the SP Manager. It shouldn't require users to have to type a show name and use quotes in the correct place to get this functionality that many other DVR software has had for years.

7. Oct 3, 2006 #7 of 93
    snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Not likely... too many variations in bit-rate for HD programming. When recording digital OTA, a 1 hour program could range anywhere from under 1GB to well over 9GB. So, if there is 27 GB left on my drive do I have 3 hours left or 27 hours left?

8. Oct 3, 2006 #8 of 93
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The only buttons on the TiVo remote designed to work with the TV are the Power, Input, Mute & Volume Up/Down buttons. All others ONLY work with the TiVo. The Input buttons default functionality is to cycle through inputs on the TV not interact with an input menu. If your TV does have a simple "next input" type button on the remote, but none of the TiVo supplied codes invoke it, then you can actuall teach the TiVo remote the proper command to make it cycle through the inputs. (consult the manual for instructions) If your TV requires you to actually select an input from a menu and then press enter then you're out of luck and will have to resort to using the TVs remote or a universal remote for proper functionality.

Dan

9. Oct 3, 2006 #9 of 93
    RoanokeHokie

RoanokeHokie 1 of the "Lucky" 200

Nov 16, 2000
    San Jose,...
    Except that "Whose Line Is It Anyway?"is the name of two separate series: Whose Line U.K. on BBC America, and Whose Line U.S. on ABC Family and (sometimes) ABC Network. Their titles are the same, but the TiVo can tell that they're different series. Just do a 'Find by Name' for Whose Line if you have BBC America and ABC Family, you just might see the same series name twice without a channel indication!

On the DCT6412III, I could set an "any channel" recording for Whose Line U.S. that would grab the show from ABC Family or ABC Network but ignore the shows on BBC America. Only two Season Passes - one on ABC Family and one on ABC Network - can do this, except that since Whose Line currently has no upcoming shows in ABC Network I can't create it. A Wish List will get both Whose Line U.S. and Whose Line U.K.

I know of no other show with this problem. In general, a Wish List does the job. But there are situations where the Wishlist isn't quite what I'm looking for. I don't regret sending the DCT6412III back, but I hope that TiVo can add the "any channel" Season Pass sometime.

10. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    I've got the same problem with my Mits HDTV. Very irritating to have to pick up the TV's remote to change input. Seems like the TiVo remote could allow the enter key to send the TV's enter code only in the case where the prior key pressed was the remotes's input key. In all other cases, the enter key would function in the normal TiVo fashion.

11. MisterUCLA

MisterUCLA Member

Mar 31, 2002
    I say add PIP so people stop bringing it up.

I also vote for ToDo Items listed in the guide.

Custom folders would be cool.

Allowing you to pool the scheduling between the Series3s.

Checking your ToDo list on the web.

12. Bodshal

Bodshal Penguin-tastic!

Jan 4, 2005
    Cedar...
    Though quite why anyone wants to see the US version is beyond me ;) Drew doesn't do it for me!

Chris.

13. RoanokeHokie

RoanokeHokie 1 of the "Lucky" 200

Nov 16, 2000
    San Jose,...
    Why? Wayne Brady. (Clive is the better host, though.)

14. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Rather than PiP, which consumes valuable real estate, how about the ability to display the current channel in the background, with a translucent guide and menus?

The translucent menus and guide could be enabled / disabled through settings for those that don't care for it.

That said, I would like split-screen PiP, not for menus, but for viewing two different sports programs at the same time.

15. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    It would be nice, though, to have something to show disk usage, even if it were a bar graph of some kind (with a disclaimer somewhere that the total hours of recorded shows and space used wouldn't necessarily match up). Otherwise, the only thing to go on is when old recordings start getting cleaned up or suggestions stop being automatically recorded (if they were set to do that in the first place).

16. Maeglin

Maeglin New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Norcross, GA
    When talking to TiVo about that, though, it would help to clarify that you're talking about the grid guide... the other one already is translucent, which is one reason I use it. Agreed on the menus, though, at least in some cases.

17. crmlht

crmlht New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    SORRY FOR THE CAPS, MY PC GOT THE CAPS LOCK KEY FROZE

I WAS SAYING FOR FUTURE ....................

QUAD TUNERS AS YOU BLOW OFF, WOULD EASILY BE IMPLEMENTED BY IN THE NEXT TIVO HAVING EACH SLOT ACCEPT 2 2-WAY CABLE CARD = 4 TUNERS

AUTO TUNING IS SET TIVO TO SWITCH TO A CHANNEL AND NOT RECORD IT AT A CERTAIN TIME BASED ON THE SHOW TITLE.

PIP I MEAN, A WINDOW IN CORNER SO WE CAN SEE TV AS WE DO DVR STUFF

SINCE DISH NETWORKS VERY CRAPP VIP622 DVR CAN EXPRES TIME REMAINING IN TIME, SO SHOULD TIVO'S

THE TITLE WISH LIST AS YOU CALL IT IS USELES, AS IT CATCHES EPISOE TITLES AS WELL, SO RENAMEING IT A SEASON PASS TO A SERIES PASS... SO WE CAN RECORD A SHOW ACROSS CHANNELS, MAKE IT EASIER FOR NEWBIES.

BOOKMARK A CERTAIN POINT OR POINTS IN A SHOW WE HAVE ON THE DVR, SO WE CAN EASILY JUMP TO THEM EASIER.

ADVANCE CONFLICT RESOLUTION WOULD BE WHERE IT SHOWS US WHEN WE CREATE A CONFLICT IF WE WANT IT RECORD NEXT AVAILABLE SHOWINGS AND ETC..

WE NEED MOE RAM AND PROCESSOR, BECAUSE TO PREVENT SLOWDOWNS,

MRV / MEDIA SERVER

IF TIVO WOLD ADD ALL THIS, ID PAY 800-1000 CAUSE THEN, THE PRICE WOULD NOT BE TOO MUCH

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The tuners are a large part of the expense of the TiVo - you could get an multi-stream CC1 card in some areas now and have 5 stream going in. But you would need to double the number of tuners inside the TiVo and that doubles a significant part of the cost. And that is just teh first tech hurdle - next is recording those 4 shows in real time on the hard drives while everything else goes on. You just added a lot of overhead and probably need two drives to do it real time and not run into problems - that opens up a whole nother can of worms not even worth diving into.

so you like the buffers huh and that is what autotuning is about. I use a 5 mniute manual recording to set to CNN when something big is brewing and then have the buffer to skip back through. I set the manual to Keep at most one and forget about it. USed to do that with football games but now I have a drive large enough to record the two teams I watch with a 30 minute buffer as well.

19. Canoehead

Canoehead TiVo since 2004

Sep 12, 2006
    CT
    So give it to me in Gigs and let me do the math - or as a % of disk space (exclude buffer from this).

20. Larry in TN

Larry in TN Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    A % of disk space ought to be doable. I watch the suggestions folder and use that.

I thought that the problem with more than two tuners was that the hard drive's couldn't keep up with recording three, or more streams?