Series 3 behind a cabinet door...Series 2 worked with IR blaster

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pos1, Dec 18, 2011.

1. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Just upgraded to a Series 3 (due to new HD LED tv).

Old set-up - analog TV, antenna, digital-to-analog converter, IR blaster hooked up to Series 2 Tivo and set in front of converter "eye". Worked like a champ.

I still have an antenna hook-up with the Series 3, but I don't see an input for the IR blaster. On the Series 2 it was labeled "Channel Change IR".

Since I wanted to use my receiver more with the TV, I thought I'd put the receiver in the cabinet section not behind doors. So, my Tivo is now behind cabinet doors.

Eventually I'll reconfigure my Harmony remote for the new configuration, but either way I don't think that matters. It needs access to the Tivo. I need to find a way to change the channel on the Tivo behind cabinet doors. Is there a way to use my IR blaster cable? Everything I've read online references something like the Smarthome Hidden IR Repeater System. Would rather not spend the extra dollars if my IR blaster will somehow work.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That wasn't an input. You yourself make note of the fact it was an output.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

First you say it is not behind doors and then you say it is. Are you talking about opaque doors?

Right.

No. First of all, the IR Blaster is an output device, not an input device. Secondly, the S3 has no provision for an IR extension - either input or output.

I've not tried that particular unit, but I have used several IR repeaters with poor success. A better choice would be the TiVo BlueTooth slide remote.

3. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Are you trying to use an antenna Digital converter box on the Series 3? You cannot use the box on the Series 3 since it has digital dual tuners. Simply remove the converter box and plug the coax from antenna straight into the 'antenna IN' coax. No IR blaster cable was included since the box doesn't support it.

5. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Sounds like he had his digital to analog converter (he refers to as receiver) in cabinet before with IR from Tivo controlling it. Now he wants to use converter for the TV so it's in the open and the Tivo's in cabinet with antenna directly hooked to it.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I wouldn't say that, the post isn't at all clear about the current layout and what's missing, when the OP returns to the thread to add additional information we may be able to help more, but at the moment it's a crapshoot trying to figure out what I'm sure they thought was an easy question, but didn't give enough valid info on.

7. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you say "digital-to-analog converter", do you mean a "coupon box"? The thing that lets analog televisions pick up the digital broadcast stations we have these days?

If so, it's now superfluous, unless you want to continue to use it with your S2.

Your Series 3 (TCD648250, TCD652160, or TCD658000?) has tuners that can tune analog broadcast (non-existent now, except for a few low power stations), analog cable, digital broadcast, and digital cable (which may require one or more cable cards inserted), although if your cable company does Switched Digital Video, you may need a tuning adapter as well.

So, the S3 doesn't need your coupon box.

Your new HD TV set can probably do analog cable, and maybe even analog broadcast, and can certainly do digital broadcast and probably digital cable as well.

So, it doesn't need your coupon box.

If you want to put that S3 behind something through which infra-red light cannot pass, then you need something with an IR receiver that sits outside of whatever the S3 is behind and somehow (wire, radio signal, telepathy) transfers IR signals that it picks up to something that outputs IR and sits in front of the S3 with line of sight to it.

Or you could use this thing

http://www.weaknees.com/rf-remote-details.php

which replaces one of the batteries in your TiVo remote with a combination rechargeable battery and RF (radio signal) transmitter that transmits to a unit that has one of those IR output jacks into which you plug a single or double headed IR "blaster".

Suggest you take old TV, coupon box, and S2 TiVo and put them in a separate room for kids, guests, wife currently not speaking to you, you when said wife decides she gets the room with the S3 and HD TV, whoever.

8. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Sorry. Got the flu and haven't been able to check back.

I am not using a converter. That was part of the old set-up with the analog TV.

Just looking to find a way to change the channel now that my TiVo is behind a wooden cabinet door. I'll need to look online at the suggestions. I had read a little about those, but did want to buy one if I didn't need to.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Fastest easiest way? as mentioned previously get the slide remote, it uses Bluetooth and does require line of sight.
    If you still want to use the Harmony they have an ir repeater that you can buy.

10. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Out of curiosity what converter were you using, and is the tuner in series 3 doing better (signal strength etc) job?

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm still translating your original post.

When you talk about using a receiver in the part of the cabinet without doors, are you talking about an A/V receiver?

If so, what brand and model?

Maybe we can be sneaky and clever.

12. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    If you have a smartphone or tablet (Android or iOS), there are apps for both that do remote control for it.

It doesn't matter which TiVo you have - there's apps that use the telnet interface (works from series 3 onwards) and gives you just basic remote control functionality (requires TiVo on network and WiFi). The more advanced apps give you guide and even previews recordings, but requires a Premier upwards.

Logitech has a Harmony Link which does a WiFi to IR thing, requires a smartphone or tablet as well, but supports everything. Or if you want to upgrade to a new Harmony remote, you can get one with RF support - depending on the remote, it may include the RF receiver and blasters in the box.

13. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    will respond to some of the questions.

Converter was an RCA. Nothing special. Just picked it up at Target when the coupons were available. I don't know if the Series 3 gets better reception. I will say we're getting add'l channels, but I hadn't rescanned on the Series 2 in some time.

The receiver I'm referring to is my stereo receiver. Since the sound in these thin TVs is a little tinny, I wanted my stereo to be part of my primary TV watching configuration. So, I needed access to turn on/off, set video input and adjust the volume. So, it's the only component that's not behind the door. It is a Kenwood KVR-8040. Old, but trusty.

I definitely want to keep my Harmony. That's a life-saver for my wife and kids.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Assuming you really meant a Kenwood KR-V8040, from around 1992, do you still have any of the "system control" cables around?

If so, are the ends regular 1/8" phone plugs, like headphone plugs have shrunk down to over the past couple of decades?

If so, are the plugs mono or stereo?

If they're mono, like the IR cord that originally came with the TiVo, plug that cord into the Kenwood's system control jack, aim the TiVo remote at it, and, using a digital camera or cell phone camera, see if the LED end of the TiVo cable lights up when you press the TiVo remote.

If the Kenwood cables are not mono, do not plug the TiVo cable into the Kenwood, as you may short something out.

15. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Which Harmony is it? Maybe it already has RF support and you just need to add an RF receiver?

Of course, it may also be time to ask Santa for another one :). I'm sure your wife and kids can figure out a brand new shiny Harmony... they do work the same.

16. pos1

pos1 New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Its a Harmony 720

17. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Looks like you'll have to ask Santa for a new Harmony...