Series 3 and Ipod

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kas25, Sep 13, 2006.

1. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

I have had a Directivo for over 10 years, the last two being a HD Directivo. As I've stuck with Directivo, i've been forced to use a separate home media player (Pinnacle Showcenter) to stream my mp3, jpeg and home movies. I recently bought an ipod which now is 80% full of my cds that have been ripped. I've also started downloading music from itunes as it is just so much easier then going to a store. Unfortunately there are always issues with streaming music purchased from itunes over the Pinnacle so i have to burn the music to a disc and then rip it to my hard drive. Ideally my next digital media player is compatible with itunes and ideally its integrated with TIVO. Is Series 3 what I need or are there compatibility issues with itunes? I read the FAQ and didn't see this answered.

2. Craig S

Craig S New Member

Nov 3, 2002
    League City, TX
    You're talking about the inability of TiVo or Pinnacle to play music encrypted with Apple's FairPlay DRM. This is not TiVo's fault (or Pinnacle's, in the case of your Pinnacle box). Apple refuses to license FairPlay to anybody. And the chances of them doing so to TiVo are much less now that they have announced their own media streaming device (the "iTV", which is due to be available in January).

For the most part I love Apple's products, but Steve Jobs really wants to lock people completely into the Apple world. I doubt we'll ever see TiVo (or any non-Apple device) be able to use FairPlay DRM'd media. If you want to stream your iTunes Store-purchased tunes, you'll have to buy Apple's box in January.

3. tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    good post craig. you are right on the money.

4. kas25

kas25 Member

Mar 10, 2003
    NJ
    That's what I was afraid of. Either than or every time I buy from apple, I burn and rip. Thanks for the comments.

5. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...

Advertisements

There are other ways to strip the DRM off iTunes purchases, without burn-and-rip. But it is an arms race. Apple patches the loopholes, then a while later someone finds a new one. See hymn-project.org, especially the forums.