Series 3 and DirecTV

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dturturro, Jan 8, 2006.

1. dturturro

dturturro Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Long Island

Advertisements

I've got an HR10-250 and I love the TiVo style interface. I'm not that crazy about E*'s NBR and I've heard that the new D* DVRs without TiVo are very much like the E* NBR.

I've looked through the TiVo press release and a bunch of threads on this and other forums but I can't find a definitive answer. Will the Series 3 TiVo work with the sat companies or just cable co's?

2. johnh123

johnh123 Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Over there
    Just cable and ota.

3. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    Not Satalite. Only cable and OTA. If you want reall need Satalite you need to use a Series 2 SA, an older SD DirecTiVo, or an HD DirecTiVo. There are good reasons why these are not good/long term strategies.

If you want an HD TiVo with a future then your future is with Cable.

4. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    Huh ?

Give me a break.

I don't think the HDTV/DIRECTV/TiVo units are going to shut off or self destruct.
    They still had them for sale in the BESTBUY ad today.

I didn't see the HDTV cablecard TiVo in the ad. They won't be for sale for a while.

5. TiVoPhish

TiVoPhish New Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

They may not shut off or self-destruct, but there will be an issue of compatibility. DirecTivo doesn't support mpeg4. I don't know DirecTV's timeline on rolling out mpeg4 programming, but Dish Network starts this February.

6. Glen Graham

Glen Graham Senior Moment

Oct 12, 2000
    SacraTomato, CA
    I resisted the urge to buy the discount DirecTV HD-TiVo, since only my dedicated theater currently would benefit (and I don't want to power up the projector every time to watch a show).

However, I held out hope... but given the new interface of the DTV "DVR", I would rather leave DTV (and my 3 DTiVos) than leave TiVo. I went from standalone to DTV because of TiVo.

If I can record 2 HD shows at once, with TiVo, that is where I'll be when we replace our Family Room RPTV in the next year or two. Probably when the TiVo3 comes down in price. Bye-bye, DirecTV...