Series 3 advertisement or lack of..

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kmackenz, Dec 17, 2006.

1. kmackenz

kmackenz KMACK

Aug 22, 2003

Advertisements

Looking through the Sunday ad's I came to realize I have never seen an add for the series 3. Frequently you see ad's to introduce new products etc. But never saw one that said hey come see this great new item...

Wonder why...

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    The only print ads I've ever seen for the Series 3 were ones for Ultimate Electronics in September when they had the 15% off coupon for it.

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Circuit City had ads when the S3 first came out.

4. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Shhhhhhh it's a secret.

5. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD

Advertisements

I've started seeing google ads triggered by email content etc, which is cool. But they're still outnumbered by weaknees innocuous 30-second skip ad :)

They really do need to advertise more, and more effectively! The radio ads and occasional print ads are few and far between, and not enough!

6. r11roadster

r11roadster High templar

Oct 23, 2006
    Maybe they are waiting for us 'beta testers' to unearth all the bugs first :)

7. lordrichter

lordrichter Registered User

Jan 10, 2003
    Chapel HIll, NC
    The current target market for the S3 already knows about it so ads are not necessary.

8. hookbill

hookbill Feathered Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Northeast Ohio
    You don't see commercials for Rolls Royce either do you? The S3 - The Rolls Royce of DVR's. Excuse me, DMR's. ;)

9. JimPa

JimPa S3 owner/user

Oct 25, 2006
    I've recently seen TV ads about getting a free Tivo (not the S3) for what is very likely a long term commitment.

10. T-Shee

T-Shee Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sound and Vision magazine, Dec. 2006, page 89. Nice full page add for the S3.

11. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Free TiVos come with 1-, 2-, or 3-year commitments. You just pay more per month for shorter terms.

As for the S3 - TiVo is more interested in building their subscriber base, which is almost completely tied to S2 sales. So they're putting their marketing dollars behind general brand promotion and free S2 boxes, not the S3.

If someone investigates the brand after seeing, or hearing, one of the ads and decides to buy the S3 - bonus.