Series 2DT no longer allows 3-digit channel tuning (no IR involved)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by dswallow, Oct 10, 2007.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I just got off the phone with my mom and she is having a problem with her Series2DT receiver. She can no longer tune to 3-digit channels. If she enters a third digit, the first digit disappears, so entering "115" tunes just to "15" and so on.

There's no cable box involved, so this is direct tuning. She doesn't remember exactly when, but within the last week she definitely tuned to a 3-digit channel. She even recently got a lineup change message regarding channel 115 being added. There've been no software update messages.

None of the channels show in the guide or the channels list.

I ran her through guided setup again and that didn't help at all; still no 3-digit channels.

She is still running version 8.3-01-2-649.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I thought that 99 has always been the limit for a series 2 without a cable box.

3. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Tivo's internal tuners have never gone above 99.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Yep, 99 is the highest available analog channel on a Tivo.

5. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    OK, this is really strange then. I guess I'll ask her again tomorrow but she's certain she was watching one of the channels that's above 100 before this. I suppose it could be actually at a different channel number on the TiVo than is used by the cable system, but she's so certain she'd tuned to it before.

With luck she recorded something on one of the channels in question so there's a record of it. :)

Any chance the Series2DT is different than the regular Series 2 units?

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Yes , it's different. It has two tuners instead of just one and it can not be used to record OTA broadcasts.

7. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I don't mean this to come across too rude, but do you think you might take my question in the context of this thread? I'm not a moron. I know those differences. I was talking about the ability of its tuner to access analog cable channels above 99.

I'm not necessarily disputing that claim, because I can conceive of my mom not quite remembering how she tuned to something, but I really would swear myself that when I hooked up and configured this for her last Christmas that there absolutely were no channels she pays for and receives that could not be tuned.

8. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    OK, re-read ZikZak's reply and my first reply and tell me why a DT wouldn't fall under the category of being a "TiVo" when we say that TiVos are limited to 99 analog channels.

9. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I really think this is a lineup change/screwup. And/or the cable company might have plans to reclaim the bandwidth for digital usage, perhaps.

I verified the channels are still there on the analog cable, and I'm quite certain after going through it again with my mom that she was seeing them in her onscreen TiVo guide and tuning them with the TiVo (and seeing the channel/info display when tuning to them). The TiVo remote can't control her TV channel changing, so there's no way she could watch them on anything but the TiVo if she only ever used the TiVo remote.

Looking online at both www.titantv.com and www.zap2it.com her cable lineup ends at 97 now; looking at Service Electric's web site, it still includes 105/106/120/121/122/123/124/125 (which we verified using the TV's tuner all still exist, too).

10. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Regardless of the lineup, Tivo cannot tune analog channels above 99. It isn't physically possible. Your mother must be mistaken.

11. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

You are both wrong.

I submitted a lineup change form on my mom's behalf after we spoke at length about it on the 11th and today she can now tune all the 3-digit channels, they appear in the guide, the now appear online on TiVo's schedule guide (zip 18062, Service Electric Primary lineup -- that's the analog one). She also received a lineup change notice on the TiVo, though nothing yet by email.

All is now well; she can tune them directly with the channel number and channel up/down to them as well.

12. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ

There must be a cable box involved then.

13. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    There is no cable box involved. The cable coax is connected directly to the Series 2DT.

14. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Still no word back from zap2it over my reported lineup change. Anyone have any experience with how long they may take to either fix something or to at least make contact acknowledging they're looking at it?

15. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Is it possible that it cannot be done unless there are channels over 100 in the channel lineup, in which case it allows you to put in three numbers?

16. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly the limiting factor. As long as there are 3-digit numbers in the lineup, you can tune to 3-digit channels.