Series 2DT, Motoralla DCT700 and Digital Cable?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sittininlab, Dec 12, 2011.

1. sittininlab

sittininlab New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I live in the Montgomery County, MD and Comcast has somehow made it so my Series 2DT with a cable box can't get chanells anymore. At first, there was a white screen with a message from Comcast saying the chanels in the lineup (1-99) have switiched to an all digital format, and I needed a new box. Oddly, I could get my movies channels (in the 300's) on the box. I called customer support, and they did a remote reset, and that set all the screens to black/no signal. Called for a support guy to come in, we hooked the cable box into the TV, he reset it again, and the picture came back. I put the TiVo back into the system, and get the black/no signal picture. This doens't seem to have affected my HD Tivo, with the built in cable card.

I did try to do the channel line-up set up again, and it got stuck telling me there was a temporary line up, but it wasnt the right one, and it failed to detect my cable box.

The set up is cable outlet, spiltter 1: Coaxial cable into the Tivo, 2: Coaxial cable into the cable box, RCA cable out of the cable box, into the Tivo, Coaxial cable out of the tivo, into the TV. (The TV has no other inputs.)

Suggestions?

2. yjr

yjr New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Quote"The set up is cable outlet, spiltter 1: Coaxial cable into the Tivo, 2: Coaxial cable into the cable box, RCA cable out of the cable box, into the Tivo, Coaxial cable out of the tivo, into the TV. (The TV has no other inputs.)"

What is the purpose of the coax from the splitter to the Tivo? If all your channels are now digital, the S2 DT can no longer see them without a digital to analog conversion(Your cable box).
    When you re-done the guided setup did you tell Tivo that you have a cable box?, that would be the only way to see your cable lineup.
    HTH
    JerryR

3. sittininlab

sittininlab New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Good point. Hadn't thought of that. I think the purpose of the original split was so the dual tuner function could operate on the analog channels, and the digital tuner fed the digital channels from the cable box to the TiVo.

I think I will remove the the split, feed one line into the Tivo, and redo the setup. It might eliminate the dual tuner part, but stave off buying new hardware.

I did tell the Tivo I had a cable box, but it seemed to ignore that later in the set up. I think if there is also only one input, that might solve that problem as well.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Your dual tuner functionality is dead anyway, with no analog channels to tune. You need to redo Guided Setup, there's no alternative.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have lifetime on that S2 DT, this would be a good time to sell it/get some money out of it while you can to someone whose cable co. is still doing analog and can therefore use both tuners.

But first try to get the $99 lifetime deal on the HD if it isn't lifetimed already.

6. sittininlab

sittininlab New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Yep. It's a single tuner DVR now. Had to remove the splitter to get the TiVo to get signal at all.

I don't have a HD TV hooked up to that TiVo, so I'm going to run it as a single tuner as long as possible, it is on my home network, so I can transfer programs back and forth from the HD TiVo as I need.