Series 2 with Wired Connecton and No Router

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sptnut, Sep 4, 2009.

1. sptnut

sptnut Go Vols!!!!

Sep 1, 2003
    Knoxville, TN
    I normally have my Series 2 Tivo (single tuner) set up on a wireless network. However I do not have my wireless network now (router is being used elsewhere) and will not have my router back for a few weeks. So I am stuck with a single connection coming straight from my cable modem. I tried to set up my tivo with a wired adapter however it will not connect. Is there something I need to change from wireless to wired? Just to claify I do not have a router and will not be purchasing another one. I have an appoved wired adapter and cannot get my tivo to connect to tivo service. Any help is appreciated.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Try rebooting the cable modem, wait for it to fully stabilize, then reboot the TiVo. Most cable modems "marry" the MAC address of the first device they see (usually your router) and won't give an IP address to another device without a reboot.

I'm not sure if you have to change anything to go from wireless to ethernet, but if you do it will be under Messages & Settings - Settings - Phone & Network - Network.

3. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    If using DHCP to obtain network settings for Tivo, then no, you probably won't have to change anything. I use static addressing in my network (for the most part), so having hardset settings would more than likely prevent me from getting a functional connection, due to the differences with my LAN vs. WAN.

My recommendation would be to set the Tivo to DHCP/"obtain network settings automatically" when connecting directly to the cable modem. Unless being very familiar with with an ISP's network settings, this will be the only way to get it to work.