Series 2 with Premier XL4?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mneimeyer, Sep 8, 2013.

1. mneimeyer

mneimeyer New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Philadelphia...
    I'm waiting on a cable card to arrive so I don't actually have my Premier XL4 up and running yet... So some of this may become obvious once I do have it up.

With that in mind, the other day I was at the local Goodwill Computer center and noticed a Series 2 TiVo they had for $5. I figured I couldn't go wrong for $5 and got it. I'm able to power it up and it looks like it works (using the remote from the XL4).

So now, after the fact, I'm curious. What, if anything, can I do with the Series 2 to "enhance my experience" with the XL4? I do have a SD TV in the spare bedroom that I could connect it to. Could I use it to watch stuff from the XL4 somehow? If so, would I be able to always record in HD on the XL4 and still be able to watch it in SD (If I chose to).

Thanks in advance for answering these newbish questions!

Matt

P.S. If it matters I'm asking in the Premier forum because no matter what I can do with the Series 2, I don't have any intention of recording in SD on it. I plan to have the XL4 be the center of any "media network" that I set up.

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You could watch shows that were recorded on the Premiere if:

A: The Series two is subscribed and listed on your account.
    B: The recording is in SD.
    C: The copy-protection flag isn't set on the recording.

A series 2 can't handle HD recordings at all.

3. mneimeyer

mneimeyer New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Philadelphia...
    Hmm... That kinda kills my plans... (the "you people are annoying me... I'm going to hide in the spare bedroom and catch up on some TV" plan of family happyness... :) )

Ah well...

Matt

4. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area

Yea, this is pretty much the reason I sold my (lifetime) Series 2 & got rid of it from my setup. Now, I was able to record stuff on the series 2 and then transfer it to either my Series 3 (HD) or Premiere. However, the recordings were in SD only and my newer Tivos were hooked up to HDTVs so this SD material didn't look good at all on a rather large HDTV.

From my understanding, I don't think the Series 2 can even handle a regular over-the-air antenna anymore as all analog stations are gone. I could be wrong on this though.

5. mneimeyer

mneimeyer New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Philadelphia...
    I'll have to give that a try... just to see...

Matt

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    S2s can only deal with analog input, so no more over the air (except for the few surviving low power analog stations) and only analog cable.

For anything else, you need something that takes the digital cable or OTA source and turns it into either analog RF (like a VCR's channel 3 or 4 output for TVs without line inputs in the old days) or baseband analog (yellow, white, red RCA plugs) pretending to be a cable box or satellite receiver.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    B: The recording is analog

A series 2 can't handle digital recordings at all.

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    and congratulations to the OP for going wrong with a $5 tivo.