Series 2 with over-the-air digital TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by chazzo, Apr 23, 2011.

1. chazzo

chazzo New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    I ditched cable tv and want to hook up my series 2 dual tuner Tivo to a digital antenna. Set-up doesn't have an antenna choice; just cable or satellite. Any ideas how to make this connection?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The S2 Dual tuner was designed for cable and not antenna.

3. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    As I understand it, because of federal legalities, the Dual tuner series 2 wasn't given the option to receive over the air TV. You can set up the Tivo for cable and most of the lower channels might correspond to the correct channels without the dash channels such as 7-2. If U use a DishTV Pal digital converter you might be able to make it work to record the dash channels by having the digital converter tune to the channel at the particular time. That is the only digital converter that I know of that has the ability to tune to a particular channel on a timed basis.

If your Dual Tuner isn't a lifetime box, just buy another single tuner Series 2 with lifetime for $30-$60 on ebay such as a Toshiba or Pioneer that has basic tivo for free. Or they have them on craigslist too for cheaper or thrift stores.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    The dual tuner series 2s can record OTA using a digital converter box and a work-around, but it has to be one of the boxes that use an infra red remote code set already known to the TiVo.

You lie to the TiVo and claim to have satellite service, which will bring up a channel lineup that includes your local channels.

You delete all the channels from "Channels I Receive" and then only re-check the locals.

You won't be able to select the sub-channels on timer record, but for most things it'll work.

The DTVPal converter boxes do use DISH NETWORK infra red codes, so you could just claim to have a DISH satellite box for one of those. There are other boxes that supposedly can also work, but I'd have to do some checking for you on those.

As mentioned, the DTVPal does have its own VCR type timer, so you could use that as well, and two models of the Zinwell Zat converter box also have such timers.

I'll try to find the link to what other boxes can be used...

5. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    That didn't take long.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=462958

"The Apex converter uses code 10098, which is identical to code 10020 for a Hughes satellite receiver.

"Code 10090 for Insignia and Zenith converters is the same as code 10075 for LG satellite boxes..."

During Guided Setup you tell the TiVo you have satellite, but when the time comes to choose what box you have, lie and give one of the boxes mentioned in the link.

Of course, you'd have to actually have one of the converter boxes that match the code set of the box you're claiming to have.

6. chazzo

chazzo New Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Thanks, Gastrof. Luckily I have a Zenith converter. Funny thing is I used to have a single tuner DVR that bit the dust. Tivo replaced it with a dual tuner. I thought I came out ahead 'til now. Hopefully the work-around works. Thanks again.

7. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    If you want a single tuner Tivo so U can tune the sub channels and live in the Denver area, I will trade you a single tuner tivo for a Dual tuner tivo. I dn't really need a Dual Tuner one, as I have 4 or 5 of them, but I guess I should put them on ebay.