Series 2 with new HD plasma?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by smperry, Aug 2, 2007.

1. smperry

smperry New Member

Aug 2, 2007

Advertisements

Greetings,

I have a Series 2 Tivo with a lifetime subscription and have had it a few years. My current tv is 10 years old and I am finally going to get a plasma(and the whole set up, speakers, up2date receiver, Comcast HD cable box, etc)

My question is will I need a new Tivo, either Series 3 or HD? Or can I continue to use my Series 2, without reducing the picture quality that I’m paying for in the plasma and HD programming.

I don’t understand what a cable card is, so any of that info would be helpful also. (will I need one, etc)

Thanks!

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    read around the forum some and you will see that the picture quality is subjective. Some do not see a porblem, others wnat to rip it from the wall. ;)
    The fact that you may not see digital HD at all on your TV might make you think the picture is fine for instance.

short answer though is that indeed the S2 TiVo will not deliver the full resolution your TV is capable of. In searching you will find out about DVDs that help you tweak the SD picture for the input, be it a DVD player or a Tivo S2. etc..

I have a newly acquired LCD TV and hooked upa digital OTA antenna to it. The picture is awesome and the Antenna is cheap - I just got a 30$ indoor one.
    The TiVo HD would support the antenna as well.

If you wnat to do digital tier of TV then you will need to get cable cards from your cable company. They slip into the TiVo HD and take the place of the cable box to authorize your access to the digital tier and tune in the digital channels. as to warnings - they will not allow for PPV/VOD so that will not be available on the TiVo HD. Also read the SDV sticky at the top opf this forum

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
  4. smperry

smperry New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Ok, thanks for the info, So if I got a Series 3 with an cable card, I could skip the Comcast box? Just 1 less component is the benefit?

Thanks

5. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...

Advertisements

Not "could". "must". The S3 does not work with the Comcast box; it replaces it. You could keep the Comcast box for another TV (and Series 2), but that would have nothing to do with the S3.

6. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    You'll probably be fine with just the Tivo HD and cablecards, but you should read the threads about SDV.