Series 2 with Comcast DVR

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MasterFramer, Sep 4, 2007.

1. MasterFramer

MasterFramer New Member

Sep 4, 2007

Advertisements

Hey all, Im new to the Tivo scene. My mother just gave me her old series 2 box since she upgraded to a new HD box. Now Im here back at home pondering my options before I activate the box.

Right now we use a Comcast DVR which I want to keep the functionality since the dual tuner is nice and we watch alot of on demand. I guess my question is if I hook the Series 2 up with my DVR I am going to loose comcast's dual tunner functionality since the tivo takes over control correct? And if I dont want to do that I could split the incoming signal but I wont have anything past extended channels right?

It would be really nice to be able to add another recorder and Tivo service to our existing set up but I dont know the best way to do it.

Thanks to everyone that can give alittle help.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    There's no good reason to have one DVR control another. Even if possible, you'll lose a tuner. I'd use the SA TiVo to record analog cable directly.

3. MasterFramer

MasterFramer New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    That's what I figured but wasnt sure... I think Im just going to set it up in the bedroom. Thanks.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Always hook 2 DVRs up in parallel not in series, I can't stress it more clearly.
    I believe this should be the 1st commandment of Tivo hookups,
    "Thou shalt not hook thine DVRs to one another"

;-)