Series 2 w/Lifetime Issues - Here's what TiVo offered

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mahermusic, Mar 19, 2018.

1. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.

Advertisements

So this weekend, after 17 years, we finally "cut the cord" and installed an HD antenna. Fantastic reception, 39 channels, and no longer paying for cable TV, just Comcast internet for $49. My issue is that when I went to run Guided Setup on my Sony Series 2 (through dialup!!), it wouldn't allow it. Daily updates over dialup were just fine... the last successful update was made this past Friday, March 17th.

I called TiVo, and after trying this, that & the other, they offered a refurbished 500GB Bolt for $99, and the transfer of my Series 2's Lifetime for $349. So, $449 total + tax, but free shipping. I've been out of the loop a bit, but what do you all think of this? Good deal? Yay or Nay?

2. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    PSU_Sudzi and rdrrepair like this.
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Right. So, is the $50 worth it? Depends if you may ever switch back to cable or if you are handy enough to install a cablecard bracket in the OTA (you are).

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Is it worthwhile to pick up a used TiVo wireless network "G" USB adapter for the Series 2 and try that (if you otherwise are happy with the Series 2)? I have that for my Toshiba Series 2 TiVo--will the Sony accept it as well? TiVo Wireless G USB Network Adapter (AG0100) by TiVo *FREE SHIPPING* 851342000223 | eBay ($13 including shipping)

edit: Or this used TiVo wireless network "G" adapter for less than $7 (including shipping)--but auction ending in less than half an hour. TiVo Wireless G USB Network (AG0100) by TiVo 851342000223 | eBay

Of course, this also gives you an excuse to jump forward 12-15 years from the Series 2. ;) There have been a few nice changes in that period . . . .

You also could wait and see if TiVo has any sales between now and the end of the year (e.g. Nov.-Dec., at it's done the past few years) or brings back an offer to transfer Lifetime from a Series 2 for $99 with the purchase of a Bolt from TiVo.

5. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004

Advertisements

Forget series 2, leave the SD machines behind, most SD is OTA digital subnets that don't always look that good, especially on larger screens.

6. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Mikeguy and bradleys like this.
  7. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    What kind of error message are you getting?

From my reading here (not personal experience), older TiVo units take a LONG TIME to process Guide Data (especially cable vs OTA). Unplug the telephone connection for ~2-3 days and then try again. Certainly there are some Series 2 owners here who can chime in with better advice (if they see this thread).

• Do you need another TiVo DVR?
      - How about a Mini? Used Mini?
    • Besides the 1000GB Bolt, is your Series 3 still in service?
    • Is 500GB enough?
      - Series 6 units use 2½" HDDs; Series 5 units use 3½" HDDs (less expensive, more 'stable' choices to chose from)
    • Unless you buy a 'donor' Roamio Basic for the cablecard socket, the ~$15 socket listed in the 'popular' thread here is NOT an exact match; i.e. the two rows of pins are not properly spaced and need to be bent 'slightly' towards each other. Several 'non-techie' users have failed to achieve the desired results. Even the 'premium' version (using a custom pcb, 'custom' etched by an eBay seller for double the price) had a 'Quality Control' issue (that was quickly handled by the Seller).

8. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    The OP already owns one Bolt. ;)

9. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    If you already have a bolt, why not just pick up a mini?

10. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
  11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Really? I thought that most people who went this route ultimately had no issue with it.

12. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Personally I don’t think they are offering you much of a deal and since you already own a Bolt and a S3, I’d retire the S2 and get a Mini.

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You could probably find an all-in bolt on eBay for that price. I wouldn't buy directly from Tivo unless it was a better deal. Keep in mind that your S2 has some value. At least $30.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  14. rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    I'm confused. Series 2 boxes don't have ATSC tuners do they? So how were you planning to record OTA signals?

15. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    Is this the case? I remember using a Digital Adapter when we had this on Comcast, but to get regular over-the-air channels.... it's a no-go as it currently is? That would be a bummer if so...

16. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Series 2 TiVos (except the dual-tuner 649 model and the extremely rare 542 model) can be set up to use antenna with a converter box. Why anyone would bother these days is another matter.

kpeters59 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  17. rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    TiVo seems to have deleted or moved their page on this, but Weaknees still has a copy of their converter box list. If you picked up one of the free converters at the time of the digital transition, and if you can find your Series 2 infrared blaster (if you were using a digital adapter on cable, I'm guessing it is still handy) then you may be able to try this out with no expense.

WeaKnees Blog » Blog Archive » TiVo Unveils Plans for Digital Transition, 2009

Mikeguy likes this.
  18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Because one already has the box and the TiVo box has Lifetime or Lifetime Basic, especially as a secondary TiVo. ;)

19. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    AlinuxDude, rdrrepair and Mikeguy like this.
  20. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    You can purchase an OTA converter box and an IR cable on eBay. Might be ok to use on a small screen TV.