Series 2 upgrade with WD 1TB Green Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by nightowl23, Apr 6, 2011.

1. nightowl23

nightowl23 New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I have a series 2 (140060) and want to add a WD10EARS 1 TB Green Drive. I know I need a SATA to IDE adapter. After disabiling the intellipark feature, will this drive work in my series 2 standalone? I read all the posts and instructions I'm still not sure because on the conflicting two comments (#29 in upgrade FAQ):

These drives only boot correctly in a TivoHD/Series3 after the power plug is pulled. These updated drives will not boot at all in the Series2.

and

For newly built Western Digital "Green" drives that exhibit this issue, TCF member drey discovered a method to disable the Intellipark feature on these drives, thereby making them fully compatible with the TiVo

It was suggested by a senior poster that I list here as well as upgrade forum. Thanks for any help in advance!

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
  3. nightowl23

nightowl23 New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    atmuscarella,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I visited the ebay storefront and he doesn't have my series 2 model listed. If anyone has had any luck with an older series 2 (i.e. TCD 140060) with the new 1TB Green drives I would appreciate your input.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The link in my previous post takes you to an actual ebay sale page for a 1TB hard drive upgrade for a Series 2 TiVo. Scroll up to the top of the page.

Good Luck,

5. nightowl23

nightowl23 New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks again for your responses. I looked at the 1TB upgrades available on the page you mentioned.The Tivo brand models he sells upgrades for are TCD230040, TCD240x TCD540x, TCD649x. I contacted the seller with the appropriate question regarding the drive (no response). I'm afraid the ebay link is a dry hole. If there are any successes with the WD10EARS and an older series 2 standalone (i.e. TCD 140060), I would appreciate any info or leads.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you already own the "ears" drive?

7. nightowl23

nightowl23 New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Yes.

8. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I don't know how much money you're going to be able to throw at this project, or what parts and resources you already have.

If you can use the WD10EARS you already own in your TCD140060, you'll need an adapter. If you have to use a different drive you'll still probably need an adapter.

Go ahead and get the adapter and experiment with the WD drive.

According to AllAboutJeeps,

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7263446#post7263446

your model TiVo will work with the JM 20330 chipset'ed LK-13415, which you can get from partsdomauction on eBay, or you can skip eBay and get it from the same people at their wowparts website. Also the Weaknees adapter is Jm 20330 based, and they help pay the bandwidth bills here, as does dvrupgrade, and it says elswhere in that thread that their adapter is also JM 20330 chipset'ed.

And the Marvell chipset adapters mentioned in that thread as working with Series 1 units are almost certainly going to work with your S2, as they work in my S1 and my later S2.

Of course you need to remove the original Tivo drive and make a good truncated backup image of it, and if you can get hold of an IDE drive at least as big as the original, you need to test the image by doing a restore and putting that into the TiVo to make sure it works.

Once you know you've got a good backup, then you can restore to the big WD and see if it works.

If not, you can use it in a computer running the free version of TiVo Desktop (make it all one big NT partition) and still have it to backup shows to.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

I just came across something here

http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=687

The first post mentions the 1TB version of the "EARS" drive, and mentions that instead of the until now standard 512 sector size, it has 4K sectors, which the TiVo isn't expecting, so maybe you should use it as one big NT partition in a computer running VISTA or Win 7 and TiVo Desktop to backup your recordings, then the pressure's reduced to put a huge drive in the TiVo.

A couple of other articles about the new 4K sector scheme here

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-4k-sector,2554-3.html

and here

http://www.storagereview.com/4k_sector_another_nail_xps_coffin