Series 2 to Series 3 advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by smeggy, May 31, 2007.

1. smeggy

smeggy New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Templeton, MA

Advertisements

I currently have a series 2 single tuner, with life time service.

With my big new HDTV, I'm about to place a call into Comcast to get a HD tuner - however I'm really not sure about spending so much on a series 3 ... I have a couple of questions:

Can I transfer my life time subscription (I'm assuming no)?
    Can the series 2 and 3 communicate and share (non HD) programming?

This way I can make use of the Series 2 in another room. I know I'll be losing TivoToGo, so the series 2 would make up for that (viewing in another room).

If neither of these are options, I'd probably end up going with Comcast HD DVR and upgrading to the Tivo interface when it swings around.

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    make the decision before fathers day - there is a 200$ rebate meaning you can get an S3 for 400$. Some have called in and gotten a CSR to do the lifetime transfer, sometimes they called in 2 or 3 times to find a CSR that will do it. it costs 199$ to transfer the lifetime to the S3.

currently no MVR or TTG for the Series 3. TiVo does want to bring the feature to the S3 and are working on it. Check out the S3 forum for more info on that.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I've read that a few people have still done this if they get hold of the right CSR. Might have a transfer fee of $199 (IIRC).
    Here's a link to a thread discussing this.
    I forgot about Comcast DVRs getting Tivo GUI. If you can hold off getting a DVR until that happens, I'd explore that possibility.

4. smeggy

smeggy New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Templeton, MA
    From the sounds of it, the Tivo upgrade to Comcast is purely a software upgrade, so I am debating going with Comcast HD DVR now and upgrading when it comes out.

The sheer cost of the Series 3 is very off putting for me, unfortunately. Even with a HD TV I've lived without a HD tuner (I'd have upgraded, obviously) for the last 3 months, so dropping over $600 for a series 3 that I *might* be able to get my life time subscription moved too doesn't make sense :(

5. quarkman97

quarkman97 All mobbed up!

Nov 17, 2002
    Brewcity, WI

Advertisements

Do they still qualify for the rebate if they transfer over their lifetime? I thought you had to purchase a subscription of some sort to qualify for said rebate. We need an official yea or ney on this since I've read both opinions on the forums here.

6. Jun 1, 2007 #6 of 19
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Good question. Since there is no MRV on the S3 yet I have not looked too closely at this rebate

7. Jun 1, 2007 #7 of 19
    scifan

scifan New Member

May 31, 2007
    Verify the date on your lifetime subscription... if it's prior to January 20th 2000, they will transfer it without any issue's... they transfered mine (Dec 1999) to a S3 last night in about 5 minutes.

8. Jun 1, 2007 #8 of 19
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that would not apply to any Series 2 like the OP has

9. scifan

scifan New Member

May 31, 2007
    Thats still a curious question. I noticed that after transfer to an S3, my lifetime still retained it's original initiation date (Dec 1999) after transfer. As a result, I wonder if a contract previously migrated (S1 to S2) would still be transferable under the older, grandfathered dates even though it's currently on an S2.

I would expect that contract terms in effect when they had initially established their lifetime subscription would still be in affect.

Can anyone verify this or not?

10. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Such a grandfathered transfer is a one time only deal!

11. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    Get Comcast's hi-def DVR and connect it your S2 via composite or S-Video.

You'll be able to record 2 programs in hi-def at the same time on the Comcast DVR and in addition also record the same or a different program in standard-def on the S2 while retaining all of S2's features. You'll be able to record three programs at the same time; two on Comcast's DVR, and the third through S2's tuner.

12. AFP1

AFP1 AFP1

Feb 12, 2007
    Fla.

Hi,
    No, your Lifetime Sub needs to go along with the Unit it was placed on, "For the "Lifetime of the Unit" *Not yourself, as per Tivo. But, they also told me that since my Humax was my Main Lifetime Unit, I could replace it with another Humax, and keep the Lifetime. (Maybe because it was less than 2 Yrs Old when the Burner went?) But, I cannot replace it with a Tivo S3 or S2, why? I have no idea as to their Thinking?? Then, I would simply pay $20 a Month, ($12.95 for my 3 Month old S2DT, and a New S-3 @6.95 W/Multi Unit Discount @ 3 Yrs.) for both, losing any Lifetime Subscription, which is a lot of loss after only 2 Yrs.
    Also, having an HD-READY Big Screen TV, I have tried the Comcast/Adelphia HD DVD W/HDTuner on my TV. They came to install it, and I had them take it back. The "HD" Pictures were Very Little in difference to Analog, was when put side by side using PIP as I split the Wire in!! Also, if HDTV already, all you need is Comcasts Reg. Digital Box, not an HD Tuner, unless you want another DVR?
    Something is different the way Comcast transmits HD, and it's not near "Pure HD"!!
    That was what service told me, as I am no "Expert". Maybe someone else here knows what the difference is? Satelite is much better picture wise, but I hate their Service. But I expected a big improvement as my TV is capable of up to 1080p, but I might have well have saved my time and just turned up the Sharpness Control, as there was that little of a difference! Maybe it was defective, I have no idea. But the installers didn't think so. But it was not worth spending more per Month for! And watch most HD Tuners available on the Market. Many will only receive "Over the Air" HD, not Cable/Sat. IF they Receive at all! Most need a Scorce. A Roof Antenna W/Great Signal is needed to appreciate it if it has a Tuner. Here where I live, No Roof Ants. are even allowed to be installed, as with most Communities around me due to Community Assiociations.

13. AFP1

AFP1 AFP1

Feb 12, 2007
    Fla.

I bought a Humax when the Lifetime was in effect. BUT, the TOS for "Lifetime" meant the "Lifetime of the Unit itself, Not Your Lifetime." as per their TOS at the time.

14. AFP1

AFP1 AFP1

Feb 12, 2007
    Fla.

Especially at the S3's current price! When it 1st came out, it had a single Tuner, and was $900.00. Now, it is $600 W2 Tuners! Tomorrow??? I just cannot understand why these Prices change so often? I purchased an S2DT for $39.95 *New back at last Xmas time. Then it went to $69.95. Today I see it's $99.00! I understand raising prices, but even Gas has not gone up that much % wise! **250% in a few Months? All while the S3 has gone way down, plus added a 2nd Tuner! But even there I don't understand the difference. Basically, all the difference between an S-2 and S-3 are HD Tuners vs. Analog, and there is not that kind of difference if you buy an HD Tuner seperately. (Around $100)
    So technically, The S3 should not be more than $300, and they still earn a good profit!!

15. AFP1

AFP1 AFP1

Feb 12, 2007
    Fla.

Unfortunately, only Tivo can verify anything Price/Plan wise, and it may even depend on when and just who you talk to at the time as per previous Posts I have read!

16. smeggy

smeggy New Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Templeton, MA
    Bringing this thread back to the front.

After a lot of research and some time sitting down with my friends Comcast HD DVR, I placed an order for the Tivo S3 from Amazon. $608 shipped with a mail in $200 rebate (I'm a Prime Member, so only $1.99 for next day shipping).

I did not like the Comcast interface one bit - I missed the confirmation beeps, and my friends system was very sluggish to navigate. I wasn't keen on the way they search for titles.

But mainly, I'm just too used to my Tivo :up:

So after reading some more and finding I could do away with Comcasts set top box as well as the Comcast DVR monthly payments and just stick a couple of cable cards in, thats the way to go for me. While it is only slightly cheaper per month, and considerably more expensive up front, I think it's what I'll be happiest with.

17. ScottUrman

ScottUrman Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    S3's have always had 2 tuners.

18. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that was just the tip of what was wrong with the post ;)

19. Mach1_8

Mach1_8 New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    A couple things for you. First, cable does compress the HD signal as there is a limited bandwidth they have available. The degree of the compression varies from provider to provider, but I find it hard to believe there was no or even little difference between the HD and SD sources. There had to be a setting that was incorrect or maybe they had it hooked up via S-video or something, but there should have been a huge difference. Also, OTA is the best way to receive an HD signal (in terms of PQ) and I've heard that it's not legal for homeowners associations to prevent you from putting them up. It's an FCC regulation maybe? Google the topic...I'm sure sometyhing will come up. FWIW, I can't stand to watch HD via Sat...it's even more compressed than cable (at least the cable I get).
    OBTW, I'm getting my cable cards installed on the S3 tomorrow...here's hoping it will go well!