Series 2 Tivos and Netgear ReadyDLNA

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by GerryS, Sep 17, 2010.

1. GerryS

GerryS New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    West Los...

Advertisements

Hello All:

I have three TiVos on my home network, a Pioneer 810H, Humax DT800 and TCD540080; all upgraded to 500 GB Hard Drives. This last spring, I also upgraded my network router to a Netgear WNDR3700 and added a 1.5 TB USB network storage drive for my PCs.

Recently, at the bottom of the 'Now Playing' lists of all three TiVos, there is an entry for "ReadyDLNA:WNDR3700" that accesses media files on the network drive (I didn't plan for that!). Since this showed up just a few weeks ago, I'm assuming there was some TiVo firmware update adding the ability to access media files on the networked drive.

What's weird is that some of the media files play and others don't. I've searched this site and the web but does anyone know what specific bit-rates these media files need to be? Or is it a range of values? I did find that my TiVos will play MPEG2 files but that's all.

Second, I would like to archive TiVo programs onto network storage but I can't as it's not a full Netgear ReadyNAS. Is there anyway to move media directly from my TiVos or do I need to copy them out with Toast 10 using a Mac and archive it out to the network storage that way? Would an archived file through Toast play on a TiVo through ReadyDLNA?

Thank you for your responses,
    Gerry

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It is the NAS that got the firmware update to support TiVos, not the TiVos (Series 2s haven't got an update in nearly two years).

The Series 2s only support MPEG2 video.

3. GerryS

GerryS New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    West Los...
    Hi, everyone. I wanted to follow up and let everyone know an issue I had with the Netgear WNDR3700 and my Tivos. Not too long after my original post, the 'ReadyDLNA:WNDR3700" at the bottom of all my Tivos disappeared. After doing some research and a lot of diagnostics, I found that to get the Media Server to show up again on my Tivos, I had to reset the WNDR3700 back to the factory defaults and delete the indexing subdirectory off of the USB attached HD. After the reset, the router rebuilt the directory and now all my Tivos see the Media Server. I'm not sure why this happened, but that's what it took for me to get it back. It will be interesting to see if this problem returns.

Gerry

4. amatheu

amatheu Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I have the same problem and TIvo or Netgear can't tell me the solution, some times the 'ReadyDLNA:WNDR3700"with the FOLDER appear but I can't transfer the movies, or some times dissapear! I udated the firmware and same problem!:confused:

5. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal

Advertisements

If the folder is not showing on the DVR, then there is a discovery issue between the router and the DVR. The Router is either using the TiVo Beacon or Bonjour discovery protocol and it can be easily masked by wireless interference, heaving network congestion or a bug on either the DVR or router. It would take some troubleshooting to determine the source of the problem.

If you see the router from the DVR, but don't see shows, this is an indication of an SSL issue between the devices. It could be due to a problem with the Media Access Key or the server just not behaving right. The post above indicates that apparently the ReadyDLNA server can have troubles if its index becomes corrupted, so trying the suggested fix might be a good idea.

Files not transferring, can be simply due to compatibility. If it is a file that transferred successfully before, then it is not compatibility and could be the server or network problems.

6. amatheu

amatheu Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks, for all your advice, I was talking today with a Tivo Tech and he can't determine the problem, now I realized that the two folders tivo see in my routers are not in the share drive, I don't create that folders, so even the Tivo create the folders (that I can't find in the router or the computer) or the router create the folders (2 One say All Video and the other say Folders)
    is realy wierd, ok how I see what protocol is using tivo and which one the router? Thanks

7. amatheu

amatheu Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks, for all your advice, I was talking today with a Tivo Tech and he can't determine the problem, now I realized that the two folders tivo see in my router are not in the share drive, I don't create that folders, so even the Tivo create the folders (that I can't find in the router or the computer) or the router create the folders (2 One say All Video and the other say Folders)
    is realy wierd, ok how I see what protocol is using tivo and which one the router? Thanks

8. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    With TiVo Desktop you can switch between Bonjour and Beacon, I have no idea which is used by REadyDLNA or if it can switch between them. The DVR will support both, but some find that one works better than the other in their home network.

9. amatheu

amatheu Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I try switch and nothing same results, I don't know but I smell a rights issue, because the folder appear "special permission" and I have not way to change to full permission, is grayed out, I can't do anything I get access denied, I give all turn aruond and nothing. I order a RNDU2000, THANKS MARK FOR YOUR HELP:)