Series 2 TiVo with Digital

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by clewis, Dec 21, 2007.

1. clewis

clewis New Member

May 18, 2002
    Back when I had a series 1, I tried our digital package. I wasn't all that impressed with the extra offerings, and using the cable box with my TiVo was a real pain, trying to get TiVo to change the channels. I went back to analog.

I now have a series 2, and am still using analog. When the new digital changes take place in 2009, will my series 2 be able to receive digital without a separate cable box? If not, is the setup for using a cable box any easier than it was with the series 1?

Our cable company now offers a DVR that they claim is similar to TiVo, though I haven't investigated the details yet. But if making the transition proves too difficult, I might check them out more carefully. Hopefully your answers will convince me this isn't necessary.

Thanks as always for your great help.

2. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    A Series II, like the Series I, is an analog device. The 2009 digital changeover will have little direct impact on cable service (some cable providers may drop most analog delivery in 2009, some have done so already, but I expect most will keep analog delivery beyond 2009). The 2009 changeover only directly affects OTA - current analog transmission techniques are far too wasteful of a precious resource ("Real Estate" on the RF spectrum). The 2009 changeover frees up a great deal of RF Real Estate for other uses.

Although I haven't had the "pleasure" of trying my cableco's "just like TiVo" DVR, all reports I've seen say they may do the same job (that's the "same as" part), but they leave a lot to be desired.

FWIW We use analog whenever possible, and use digital only for those channels that aren't available in analog.

3. clewis

clewis New Member

May 18, 2002
    How easy is it to connect the series 2 TiVo to the cable box? Right now I just connect the cable to my TiVo, but I assume that won't work with digital.

4. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    All you do is place the TiVo between the cable box and the TV. The Cable Box becomes a slave to the TiVo. The TiVo uses an IR Blaster (supplied with the TiVo) to instruct the Cable Box to change channels. A Series 2 will work fine with Digital TV, but not with HDTV. Remember Digital and HD are 2 different things.

5. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If your cable box has the serial port enabled, it will be easy as just connecting one cable. However, a lot of cable boxes disable this and require you to use the ir connectors which are less reliable. Also, note that you can only record from one digital channel (from the cable box at one time) even with the S2 DT. But you can record from another analog channel at the same time through the TiVo's internal analog tuner.

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    If you're concerned about a Series 1 controlling a cable box, you may find exactly the same type of problem with a Series 2. They're not all that different.

You can still run the cable directly into the TiVo, since your analog channels will still be there (or should be). You'd just have to have a way of switching the TV from your digital cable box to the TiVo.

The TiVo, with such a setup, won't get any of the digital channels, however, and so won't be able to record them.

7. clewis

clewis New Member

May 18, 2002
    Lots of good stuff here, and it leaves me with some follow up questions I hope you won't mind discussing.

First, when the new rules take place next year (2009), my understanding is that all channels will be digital at that point. Am I wrong -- I hope. If I am correct, then the ability to record two channels will disappear, one of the reasons I upgraded to a series 2 in the first place. (Does that say something about having too much time to watch TV?)

Second, if I get a new TV that is digital, would that make any difference?

And third, I am assuming that if a new TV were HD, my series 2 still would not allow me to view recorded programs in HD. Right? What about live TV (which we don't watch much of, but just out of curiosity)?

I will now sit back and wait for words of wisdom.

Thanks,

Charles

8. WayneCarter

Mar 16, 2003
    The "new rules" affect only over the air broadcasts. Cable will not be directly affected. Each cableco is free to continue their delivery of analog content and when they will cease doing so. Some have already discontinued analog.

A digital TV will receive unencrypted digital program, but an S1, S2, or S2DT TiVo can't be used on digital channels. Many cablecos include analog channels as part of their "Digital" packages.

A TiVoHD or S3 works with HD with full TiVo functionality (pausable live TV, record, playback, etc)

9. renkablue

renkablue New Member

Sep 16, 2007
    :confused:
    Remember Digital and HD are 2 different things.

I have a Sharp 37 Aquos LCD TV (HD). I have noticed that it receives digital channels (ex. 13.1) and analog (ex. 13). So what is the difference between Digital and HD?

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    For the record I've never missed a channel change in 3 years of using the IR blasters.
    The advantage around these parts is that Comcast only places the crappy channels in the digital tier (like G4 and Fox Business) so there's practically never an occasion that I want to record two digital channels simultaneously.

11. WayneCarter

Mar 16, 2003
    SD "Digital" is standard definition (480i) TV delivered digitally (ie as a lot of 1s and 0s) rather than using the old analog format (ie as a rapidly changing voltage). The advantage of digital delivery is that a TV signal takes up less "room" (bandwidth) than if the same program were delivered in analog format. Digital delivery is also "immune" to noise so long as the signal is minimally strong.

Hi-Def is a higher resolution format (720p, 1080i, etc) than (standard definition) digital. All Hi-Def is delivered digitally, however not all programs delivered in digital form are Hi-Def.

The "480i", 720p", ... give the nominal number of scan lines in the TV signal and whether those scan lines paint the screen in one pass ('p' = progressive) or in two passes, 1 for the odd numbered scan lines, the other for the even numbered scan lines ('i' = interlaced). Hi-def uses more scan lines per "frame" than Standard Definition TV, and can use progressive scan (analog video is always interlaced).

12. clewis

clewis New Member

May 18, 2002
    Thanks for some very helpful information. Now I'll have to wait to see how our provider handles things.

Charles