series 2 tivo problems to hook up with a wireless internet card

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by jolene411, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jolene411

jolene411 New Member

Jun 12, 2009

Advertisements

Hello. I am trying to hook up a series 2 TiVo with my computer that uses a wireless internet card to access the internet. TiVo Tech Support told me there were posts here that would explain how to set this up so I can use the TiVo. I have been searching all afternoon and can't find anything. Can someone please direct me? Thank you so much.
    Jolene

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  3. jolene411

jolene411 New Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Hello.
    Thank you for the answer. I have a wireless ready computer, but I use an Alltel data card that calls from my computer for internet. I don't have cable or anything like that here.
    I read everything at Tivo.com about wired and wireless. The tech I spoke with said they do not support setting up the way I need, but sent me here. He said there are other people in the same situation as I am.
    I did a search and could not find anything.
    This is frustrating, but a good challenge. (smiling here)
    Jolene

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Oh, so you're using the cell network? Interesting.

This doesn't really belong in the DVD forum (which is probably why you haven't gotten more responses), but ...

The easiest way to get your TiVo onto your internet connection would be to set up your PC as a bridge. If it has a network card in it (and depending on what kind of Series2 box you have) you could run a network cable between the TiVo and your PC. Then you would set up a bridge connection between your PC's network card and the Alltel wireless device.

Here're some instructions for setting up a network bridge in Windows XP:

http://www.home-network-help.com/network-bridge.html

If your Series2 box doesn't have a network jack in the back, you'll need a USB ethernet adapter instead. This could probably also be done wirelessly, but it'd be more complicated.